Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Squid Poll

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am working on my planning for the eggfest cook. I figure one 11-12 pound brisket and 2 or 3 full slabs of St.Louis Style spare ribs for the Ginger Mahogany Ribs. The big question is how much squid to buy????[p]I know a few people have been interested in giving this high-temp delicacy a try, but I really don't want to bring too much. How many of y'all gonna try this stuff?? I'll make sure to pull the fish hooks!![p]Thanks for helping me out here.
Eggfest fever.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]
    ""The big question is how much squid to buy????""[p]Answer:[p]<FONT COLOR="#007F00"><FONT SIZE="4">Depends on how much fishing
    you want to do!!</FONT></FONT>
    [p]
    Tim

• Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    Okay. One down!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]Count me in.[p]I like fish. Fish eat squid. I'd like the opportunity to taste it before the fish have a chance to reprocess it:).[p]Thanks.[p]Spin
  • Tim M
    Nature Boy,[p]I should be serious - I eat Kalimari (sp??) so I would certainly try anything you cook. If you had thirty people like me you'll need very little - but I bet you'll go through more than you think.[p]Tim[p]
  • Tim M
    Spin,[p]Then we can go fishing! Maybe you can bring some pizza![p]Tim :-)
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Tim M,[p]Sounds great. It may be a squid pizza. I have to taste it first. They use anchovies :-).[p]Spin

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]Hmmmmmm! You are not getting a whole lot of respect here are you! I say make them suffer. Cook the best two pounds you ever cooked and make sure everyone has a bite. Over the following month it will be interesting on the forum . . . You use squid for bait? Nooooooo! Let me show you what I can do on my BGE!

• Nature Boy
    Spin,
    Squid would probably be excellent on pizza, although you would probably sear and cook seperately, and put on toward the end of the pizza cook to prevent toughening!!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Nature Boy,
    I know I'm not gona be able to be there wid all youse fine folks, but if I might add my $.02 worth!
    I saw a cooking show today that was making stuffed squid. It turned out scrumptious! If you made stuffed squid and stuffed the squid with sweet potaters, you'd definitely have some takers! Just IMHO though![p]Dr. Chicken :^)[p]p.s.: If you fixed it and never told them what it was, they love it and be overwhelmed! They'd never doubt you again!

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Nature Boy,
    I'll try anything that is dead and cooked.
    I think ur idea of Eggin' squid is a great idea. It is something new to many of us on the Egg...and that's what E2K is all about....sharing new ideas with eachother.
    Hey!...u just developed a new slogan>>> "EGGFEST FEVER"
    ((((((dancing like John Travolta)))))))
    And I tell ya...EGGFEST fever is exactly what's going on in me...with under 2 weeks to go!
    ST

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Nature Boy, If Denise and I can drive 600 miles and spend 5 days on the road just to be part of this thing, we owe it to ourselves to try everything the event has to offer; as Norm woulda said, "Squid me, Carla!"[p]
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Nature Boy,[p] I will try a small one, can't say I don't like it unless
    i try it. Can't say i like it untill i try it also.
    Thanks for the offer.[p] Earl

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]Oh baby, you better believe I'm in. I really like non-Egged squid, and if the relationship between Egged squid to non-Egged squid is the same as the ones between Egged Ribs to non Egged ribs, pork, sausages, burgers, steaks, tires, old shoes, etc, then I know I'm in for a treat.[p]Run on sentence man,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Cornfed,
    Yep, the relationship is similar to the others you described. I used to like non-egged squid just like I USED to like non-egged ribs!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Hey y'all!
    Thanks for responding! The responses give me an idea what is ging on here. A few folks are excited, and look forawrd to eating some of this delicacy, and others are slightly reluctant, but willing to try it.[p]I hope to be able to create some converts if I do good.[p]Thanks again for your responses
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Nature Boy,
    I never met a squid I didn't like. See ya at Squidfest.
    JimW[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Not able to make it this year but I'll put my order in for a pound of takeout. Mailing address in on the way.[p]Troy
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Nature Boy,[p]I love squid & have never tried Egging it. Looking forward to sampling yours.[p]Cathy
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Nature Boy,
    Me, Me! (I'm standing up, waving my arms wildly) Jim and I love squid. I've never attempted preparing it, Egg or otherwise so I'm really happy to try it. I did hear a rule of thumb on the Food Channel; under 2 minutes or over 20 minutes of cooking time. Apparently Tough Squid is the result of incorrect cooking time.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    Yep, hot hot hot and fast, or very slow in a stew.
    Glad to have so many takers. Anybody bringing an Asian style slaw?? I am not bringing any side dishes....just MEAT.[p]I am gonna cook up those little tenticles also. The texture and mouthfeel of those little legs and suction cups are pretty cool AND TASTY!! The squid bodies will get cut ito nice bite sized tender succulent rings (I guess to be sampled via toothpick). Just have to come up with a good dipping sauce.[p]I'll come prepared for yall!
    Yeeeeee Ha!! YFH
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gretl
    Nature Boy,
    Point me at a recipe. I have been planning on bringing some salmon, as I've decided to forego the oysters (they take too long, although I could do them ahead, I guess...) I dunno. I didn't sign up for any Official Egg time. What do you think? One way or another, Asian slaw sounds interesting. Ingredients? Let me guess...LEMON GRASS!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    This link should get you to the recipe I posted on SongDog's. Haven't gotten around to posting it here.[p]The Asian Slaw is a recipe that was along with the Squid recipe in Thrill of the Grill. I believe it is flavored with ginger, sesame seeds, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar. It was good with the squid. Who needs side dishes anyway![p]I don't think you need "official egg time", there should be plenty of opportunities![p]See you soon
    NB

[ul][li]High Temp Squid[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    I forgot. The Asian slaw also has HEAVY garlic in it.
    NB

[ul][li]High Temp Squid[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Nature Boy,
    Out here in California...we dont eat squid..but we sure do eat "calamari"...so when the next eggfest is held out west...(squid is eaten by Capt. Nemo's crew).
    Bob

• Gretl
    Nature Boy,
    I have the cookbook, The Thrill of the Grill. I'll look up the Asian slaw and see about whomping some up. What was that last comment about it being loaded with garlic? I hope you were just kidding and weren't suggesting it would be Too Much?? NEVER have I had too much garlic in a recipe. And I always manage to get a good seat in the movie theatre. I wonder why?? :-)
    Cheers,
    G.

• Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    No, the garlic is great! And heavy. Makes your fridge smell nice! [p]Doin' the Eggfest Fever Strut (Like Cornfed said "John Travolta" style).

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gretl
    Nature Boy,
    Hey, you're funnin' with me. I looked up the Asian slaw recipe in THOTG cookbook and...no garlic! Although, it seems to cry out for some. I'm happy to bring a double batch of the dressing and a cabbage or two (plus sharp knife) to the EggFest. That way I can toss it fresh. Does that appeal to you?
    Cheers,
    Gretl