Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long cook Prep help!

Eggerman1
Eggerman1 Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I will throw on my 11.66 lbs pork butt, that I am assuming will take about 15 hours (right?) at 275 dome with apple wood. My question is, can I do a regular 400 degree cook for dinner and then shut the egg down for an hour and then restart with a fresh box of coals or should I just not grill tonight and focus on the long cook?

Comments

• This shouldn't be a problem. Just be careful because the coals may still be hot after an hour.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I cook my pork butts at 250 so I'm not positive about 275 but I'm figuring it will go longer than 15 hours. First thing is make sure your dome thermo is calibrated if you haven't already. Just check it in a pan of boiling water. At 250 I know my butts take at least 1.5 hours per pound and sometimes as much as 2 hours per pound. I'm guessing if your running 275 it will go about 1.25 to 1.5 hours per pound. It should finish between 15 to 18 hours. So I would put it on 19 hours before I needed it. That will give you plenty time to get it done and if it finishes in 15 hours you only have 4 hours till serving time and you can keep it hot in a cooler this long.
    As far as cooking at 400 right before it,... I'm sure it can be done but I wouldn't do it. Just my two cents worth. Maybe some of the others that cook at 275 can give you a little better timing guess. Good Luck!
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Eggerman:

Do your first (high temp) cook with minimal amount of lump, then don't completely shutdown the Egg, just close the bottom vent to where it is barely open and the Daisy wheel barely open. This will start bringing down the temp (and keep the fire burning), then shortly before you want to start the butt, top off with new lump and this should bring the temp down even further. I have done this quite a few times and works well in my opinion. This gives a good base fire under the new lump which should make for even burn during the long cook. Just my $0.02 worth.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Eggerman1
    Thanks guys for the advice, I think I may just stratch the cook for tonights dinner as this butt is being served to all virgin egg people, who have never even seen an egg, let alone had food off of it, so rather have good pork butt and a mediocre dinner tonight.

But I guess if I put it on at 9pm, the 15 hour mark would be noon tomorrow, and I don't need it until 4 really, so I could do a small cook tonight, and get the good base and still make it.

I am torn, hate to lose a grill tonight if I don't have to.
  • That's a really good suggestion. The old, live coals will provide a good foundation. Rolling Egg makes a good point too. Allow for more time. I cook butts at 250 to 275, wherever the egg settles. But even at 275, you may need more than 15 hours. If it finishes earlier, wrap it in foil, then in towels, and then drop in a cooler until you're ready to pull. This will keep it above 140 degrees for many hours.
  • bryansj
    bryansj Posts: 79
    I did something similar last weekend. I cooked salmon around 450 prior to starting my slow and low. What I did was to snuff it out by setting the vents below my typical 250 degree setting a couple hours prior to my prep. At prep time I racked the coals up the sides to ensure the air holes were clear. I then loaded up the egg with large lump pieces and then topped it off with the mediums and smalls. My fire ended up lasting about 24 hours.

Here is how it worked out: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=702489&catid=1#
  • Eggerman1
    That looks like a well executed cook, hope mine goes as well.
  • I agree with all of the above. My two cents would be go ahead and grill. I did a butt over night last weekend after T rexing a steak with no problems. I just added a little lump and wood chunks and we were good.

Take it easy on my Clones this fall in Manhattan!
  • Eggerman1
    I will let it slide this time, but K-State is in Manhattan and KU is in Lawrence, I am a KU fan and hope Manhattan, KS burns to the ground.

Just want to beat MU, OU and Nebraska!
  • That is entirely my bad. I have blocked out in my memory where the U of Kansas is. I was in Lawrence four years ago - with an ISU victory we lock up the Big 12 north. At half time, things look good and I had a beer to celebrate. Obviously, one overtime later it was a long drive home. It has been down hill since.

I am not drinking the KU coolaid - but try to beat the Huskers for the north this year! Everyone hates Nebraska.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    I did the same thing last weekend. After about an hour and a half after shut down when I stired to get rid of ash I found quite a few small fire spots. I went ahead and put lump over the hot spots in the bottom and relit.

Absolutely spot on temp control. No drifting up or down for the duration. When I decided to raise from 225 to 250; easy greasy. I may try it as a standard from now on.

For what its worth my 7 lb butt took 15 hours
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    lots of luck on that :)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Use that as your argument for getting a second Egg :woohoo: :lol:

I try not to do a hot cook and then a long overnight right after it, just because I like to start my overnights with a perfectly clean firebox and somewhat sorted coal (like the Elder method). That's just my preference.

I have a second charcoal grill (Brinkmann's Professional Charcoal grill) that I use for dinner when I'm doing an overnight on the Egg. I wish I had two Eggs but haven't been able to find a used one yet.

Good luck with your cook!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Rock Chalk as a sig line, huh?

By all means, skip tonight's cook and get McDonalds. Then, cook your butt at 575 degrees for 23 hours.

That's the advice from Tiger country.

Quantrill showed quite a bit of restraint. :evil: :evil:

Seriously, I wouldn't skip grilling tonight to start an overnight later. In fact, as others have said, I think this evening's fire will make getting your low and slow fire off to a better start. I would just keep it going, rather then snuffing and restarting.
  • Eggerman1
    Dear Mr. Tiger country,

40-37!

"Reesing back to pass, time running out, steps up in the pocket and Meier catches it for the win, Kansas beats Missouri!"

Was a great battle last year in KC, hopefully the same outcome this year, but that game is always close.

I plan to get my butt on by 8PM, giving me 20 hours of cook time until meat needs to be ready, I will update later.

Mangino for President!
  • Sir, I cannot let this comment slide. I was born and raised in Manhattan, Kansas, and I do not take kindly to you threatening my hometown. Secondly, you list yourself as the "Iowa State Egger", this has nothing to do with either Kansas State University OR the University of Kansas,and, for the record, Todd Reesing S.U.C.K.S. You are just upset that KU had a losing record, and that Mangino is fat and lazy.
    I stand by my statement that KU had to invent a sport to be good at it, and, even then, they are going to lose to some BS team like Baylor.
    :angry: