Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Advice on Tile for Top of BGE Table

Options
davef
davef Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I've been browsing vaious BGE table designs online and I've finally come up with a plan for mine. The problem is, I'd like to tile the top of the table, and I have no experience with tiling. Thus, I'm not sure how to apply it to avoid cracking as the wood expands and contracts due to temp and moisture.

Would one of you kind folks please tell me how they'd approach tiling a wooden outdoor table? Thanks!
Louisiana boy recently relocated to North Carolina. Not digging the bbq here, but trying.  Loving the weather, however. Go Tigers!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dude,

I need to redo the top of mine. These guys here will give you the BEST advice... I think some must be master craftsmen by looking at their workmanship... some of tables here are like the "Martin Guitar" of ETables.

Be patient, you'll get good advice.

WPB
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Dave,to keep the tile from cracking,you'll need to install a concrete backer board first,then put the tile on top of that ;)Hardi-backer is one brand that is readily available(at least around here).Good luck with your project ;) Be sure to share some finished pics though ;)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Hardi is a great backer board. I might also recommend using a sealer on the grout and tiles if they are natural material. It will help with any grease stains and moisture getting under the tiles. If your in a climate that sees cold weather, it can pop lose tiles and grout when moisture wicks in.
  • davef
    davef Posts: 6
    Options
    We don't see much cold weather in south Louisiana, but we do have some nasty heat and extreme humidity, which I imagine could cause just as many problems with tiles in an outdoor environment. I'll definitely do the backer board and sealant.
    Louisiana boy recently relocated to North Carolina. Not digging the bbq here, but trying.  Loving the weather, however. Go Tigers!
  • brickitall
    Options
    i used slate on my table. put permabase under it and applied sealer when complete. great finished look. getting pics now so i will post soon.