Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best finish for unfinidhed table?

Options
banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota Posts: 173
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I have an unfinished (ie no poly or varnish) cedar table. It stays covered with commercial cover when not in use. Should I be using tung oil or a beeswax type product?

John

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Both bee's wax and tung oil protectants are normaly designed for interior applications, but I'm sure there are exceptions that I don't know about. So what I'm suggesting is to check out what products are available that are specifically designed for outdoor applications. Watco makes a teak oil designed for outdoor wood furniture, for instance. It's formulated for dense hard wood but it will work on softer woods like cedar. There are "oils" that penetrate the wood and there are "varnishes" that top coat the wood. Both work to protect the wood from the effects of weather. Cedar is naturally rot resistant and a good choice for outdoor furniture but it bleaches to a soft gray color with the effects of the sun. Protectants with the most UV inhibitors (marine grade) will help to keep wood, like cedar, from the effects of sun bleaching. You keep your table under cover and that is the best protection of all! Best finish? Not sure, it depends on many factors. I'm looking into water based products from General Finishes for my table project. www.generalfinishes.com They have stains and top coats under the name Exterior 450.
    Good luck.