Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Owner... absolutely essential spices/rubs

Options
Carolina Mule
Carolina Mule Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally broke down and got a BGE for myself and I've got a question for the seasoned veterans.

What are the 5 or 6 rubs/spices that are absolutely essential, cannot do without, to put tasty chicken, beef, pork and seafood on the dinner table?

What's a good, reliable online/retail source where I can buy them?

Thanks,
Carolina Mule
:)

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Absolutely essential?

Salt and Pepper
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Go to DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I agree with MB Rich.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    my choices
    dizzy dust goes on everything and dizzy "raising the steaks'
    penzeys.com for pepper and herbs, bicentenial rub, galena street rub , and greek for lamb.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    I'm a new egger by about six weeks. My brother is a veteran egger, and he too recommended DizzyPig spices for starters. I bought the whole line up (11 bottles I think) because it was slightly less to buy the package deal. I wanted to try them all, then figured I'd get more of what I really like. Since I got them, I've used the following the most: Dizzy Dust, Swamp Venom, Raising the Steaks, Shakin the tree and Pineapple Head. I've used them all and am happy I bought them all to try out.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    As much as I love the whole DP lineup, are they "absolutely essential" ?
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce is the BEST.

Good Luck you will really enjoy your BGE.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Bad Byrons "Butt Rub" and ALL the Dizzy Pig Rubs.

Salt n Pep

Done
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Good point RB. I think if people look in their spice cupboard they should be able to figure out what to mix/match to get some great flavors. Go back to the roots, so to say. That is of course how rubs are created. Babbling.... :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Mule
    Options
    Thanks, I was looking at www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ and he's got some really interesting stuff there. Seems to be a bit cheaper than dizzypig.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    My favorites are

Bad Byron's Butt Rub

Homebbq.com Rib Rub

Most of the Dizzy Pig rubs. (especially Cowlick and/or Raising the Steaks for beef)

Are any of these "essential"?

I think that Rich (Morrow Bay) already listed the only "essential" ones, possibly with the addition of granular garlic.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/outdoor_cooking.html
    is a great place to order just about any sauce or rub that you want, including those listed above.

BOB
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    If your looking for commercial rubs, I'd go with
    -Billy Bones Competition Rub (pork & chix)
    -Billy Bones Beef Master (ostrich...just kidding beef)
    -Billy Bones XXX Cherry

Everyone else on here likes Dizzy Pig and it has a great reputation. I just happen to like these rubs.

But I'd also encourage you to experiment making your own with a base set of spices.

-black pepper
    -kosher salt
    -paprika (smoked, hungarian, spanish in order of pref)
    -cayenne
    -turbinado sugar
    -onion flakes (grind into powder as needed)
    -dried minced garlic (grind into powder as needed)
    -thyme
    -oregano
    -basil
    -brown sugar

You can go a long way with those.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    I've yet to put plain old salt on anything I've cooked on the egg. I brine with kosher salt, but otherwise the salt stays in the pantry.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I've gotten a sample pack from him before. You are right. good stuff indeed. Just start trying stuff. Also, for a free resource, I love to go to Barnes and Noble ( I am a member) and thumb through cookbooks. Steve Raichlens Barbeque Bible Sauces rubs and Marinades bastes butters and glazes is great!
    hth
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    There are a lot of good rubs around. Dizzy Pig is one of the freshest you'll find. Plus Dizzy has a unique selection that goes beyond the basic chicken, beef, pork thing.

If anything, I suggest you get in the habit of sampling rubs. Not so much to taste the standard salt, pepper, garlic flavors but to sense the lesser unique herbs/spices that makes the rub unique. In my opinion this is where Dizzy Pig beats most rubs, taking unique flavors to the next level.

Also, get in the habit of reading ingredient labels. Most start with salt or sugar which is okay. It's what added after that makes a difference.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Good advice, but there are a few I have not seen mentioned that I use a lot:

a good lemon pepper
    granulated garlic
    smoked and sweet paprika
    crushed red pepper
    a good ancho chili powder
    turbinado sugar

make sure your salt is kosher and you fresh grind your pepper. Get quality peppercorns. A lot of people like penzey's for the spices (I've never used them).

I buy my stuff from World Spice Merchants in Seattle. I mail order and have even been to their shop. They are very knowledgeable and go the extra mile to help their customers. They custom grind most spices at the time of your order. I don't recommend many online retailers, but this is one I do. I have to relation to them other than as a satisfied repeat customer.

For the pre-mix stuff, Dizzy Pig is very good. I am also a fan of Todd's Dirt - all 3 varieties. Those are the only commercial rubs I use.
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    I agree with Danny. Good call! I could put that stuff on anything.
  • OpusXcellent
    Options
    I got to say John Henry's Pecan Rub I buy the Texas size and it goes on practically everything I cook
  • Bacchus
    Options
    If you ever watch cooking shows on TV you will notice most of the chefs put Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked BP on EVERYTHING they cook with the exception of something cured or brined with a salt solution.