Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg in bear country

Options
Serial Griller
Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on buying an egg soon.
I live in bear country and using an egg that takes a long time to cool means I'll have to leave it out at night.
Has anyone had a bear rip their egg apart?
I usually put my pellet smoker or charcoal grill in the garage after they have cooled. Both cool off relatively quickly.
If I clean the grates good after cooking on the egg maybe they will leave it alone.
Thanks.
Smokinjack

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Just roll the Egg into the garage. Being ceramic it isn't going to set anything on fire. ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A ceramic Egg "could" fail. I would not want to put my family at risk for something I could prevent.
    Detached garage or shed another story. Keep a safe distance around Egg if you must try this. Ceramic cracks, hot lump spills out, sparks fly and float around. My garage would be toast in no time.
    Taken to many medical photos in the Burn Unit over the years.
    Be Safe,
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    They may be BEARS,but if they ever find out how good food off the Egg is,they'll huff and puff and tear your house down to get to it. :woohoo: Just funnin.If you put the ceramic top on and MAKE SURE the bottom vent is closed then putting it in an enclosed shed or garage should be OK. ;) The fire will go out pretty quivk but it wll retain heat for some time.Use caution and you'll bev fine.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    wings55,

I'm a bit south of serious bear country although we have a few. AlaskanC has had some issues with grizzlies. Hopefully she will chime in. Browns and blacks aren't so aggressive. You could just use a small chain and padlock on the dome.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    "A ceramic Egg could fail." Yes, and a meteor could fall through your bedroom but you haven't installed an armor plated roof have you? :whistle:

I've got 5 Eggs. The first bought in 2001 and never have I had an Egg break and am not aware of any breaking by their setting in a garage unless someone tips them over.

If one has a concern of a "spontaneous combustion" type break they would probably be better off using a household oven as even a gasser's propane tank has the potential of exploding. :ohmy:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It's your family.
    Can't stop a falling rock from the sky but I can be safe where I can. There is no way to know if your egg might have a stress crack and fail. Your examples are foolish. Every egg is shipped and moved several times before reaching your home. Being safe costs nothing.
    I hope it never happens to anyone.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you have your Egg on any kind of wheeled stand (table or nest) I'd wheel it into the garage at night. I did that with mine when it was new, then I got a cover and didn't need to. The Egg does get hot, but not as hot as your gasser or a weber kettle. Keep it clear of potential burnable stuff just in case.

If you're just settin' your egg up with no intention of moving it, I think removing the grid before you shut it down would help a lot. That's where most of the food residue builds up that would attract bears. a few cooks have left additional drippings in with the coals, but for the most part i don't get much there.

if you do leave it out, occasionally do a high temp burn to clean it out of the residue that could attract bears. I might do this more often in your neck of the woods than i do where i live.

I just did two pizzas last night and that left everything inside (including platesetter and pizza stone) clean as a whistle.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
    Smokinjack
  • opod
    opod Posts: 41
    Options
    although i don't currently live in bear country i have had a lot of experience with them. firstly i'm assuming you're in continental US and are talking about black bears.
    No matter how clean you keep the egg or if you take grate out or leave it in, the bears will be attracted to it like a fly to sh#$@. Nothing like the smell of a low/slow butt to get their engines running.
    So, taking it inside after cooking solves the problem for grilling a steak if you have it on a rolling table but the low/slows are still a problem.
    I have been contemplating this very problem as i'm buying an egg for my parents who live in central florida and have major bear issues.
    If you do low/slows, i would consider placing a swivel hinge between the lid and the base. just a little 2 inch piece of metal that can swivel down to lock it, swivel up to unlock.
    also, i would definitely put it on a table and ensure the table has 4x4's for legs. if you put it on concrete i would get a post-concrete metal connector like they make for building decks to steady it to the ground so the bear won't knock over the table. you can rig it so that it can slide in/out by removing codder pin so that you can move it inside if you want to.
    Those were my thoughts anyway for my parent's.
    klk