Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen w/ Eggs

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
My screen porch and outdoor kitchen were completed in June. Here are two pictures of the kitchen area with my large and small BGE.

DSC_0448.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    talk about a sweet spot :) Looks great!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Dangit Clark, I just love that space. Never noticed the fan till now. It sure lookes like it can whip some a your smoke around. That is if you forget to turn on the hood :laugh:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Looks like a great party room! hint hint :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    That is the coolest setup I have seen. I am going to have to start cooking alot better before my wife will let me get one of those!
  • Misippi Egger
    She loves it, cause it means I cook more ! It has just been too hot this summer to really enjoy the porch. Can't wait til fall or winter, since we have such mild winters.
  • Ohatchee
    Ohatchee Posts: 56
    Wow...we have a winner. The best setup I've seen to date. Having the exhaust fan is a plus. I have a covered patio with a stained, laid-in wood ceiling like you do. Do you think I could put my Egg underneath the porch like you without an exhaust setup. My egg would be located next to a large screened panel for ventilation.

I really like your setup -- it is too tempting. I'm asking that you remove the pictures because it is so much more than a table and should not be allowed in this forum! ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Having some issues with smoke on some cooks, especially when it is hot and humid, or doing a heavy smoke-type cook.

Considering building a closed in drop-down, wood trimmed "box" above the eggs and replacing the current hood with a larger, more commercial style hood to trap the smoke and vent it out.

Right now I think there is too much air from the screens to effectively create a draft into the vent fan. I even use a standing fan behind me to blow toward the eggs when there will be a lot of smoke, like when I first put chips on the coals.

Definitely a work-in-progress. Still a great kitchen to cook ! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Ohatchee
    Ohatchee Posts: 56
    I would imagine that the commercial-style hood would be a big improvement. I guess you have no real concerns about generated heat and your ceiling (i.e., discoloration, etc.)?

P.S.

I would love to see some additional shots of your outdoor kitchen. For example, beyond the primary counter top and out. Can you post?
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I believe I said it before - that's one gorgeous screened in kitchen. Like to see how it'd work in a NoVA snow storm in January. Yep snow and zero degrees are some of the many benefit of living close to the Mason-Dixon line. Can't wait to cook out on my deck in January :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously that's a beautiful kitchen.
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks, Bill.

Nice thing about the porch - if the winter gets too cold and windy, I can make some plexiglass-type panels and temporarily mount inside the screen panels to block the wind and allow the fireplace to heat up the room.
  • Misippi Egger
    I think the combination of the higher ceiling and al the screens around the eggs will minimize the issue of discoloration. Time will tell.

Here is a link to my post when it was finished.

Finished porch
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Great setup, really nice! I think if I were to do my table over I would leave the front of the egg open.
  • Maynard
    Maynard Posts: 55
    Bill - I know what you mean. Can't wait to try it out in a good Virginia winter. (which is milder than some of our cousins to the north) however, it gets cold here, and at my house the wind is incredible.
  • Do you mind me asking how much all of that cost?
  • Misippi Egger
    You've got mail.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!