Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey, Ya Know What Would Be Great?

Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If the webmasters could work really, really hard to develop some sort of "Off-Topic Forum" especially for off-topic posts and create a link to it right at the top of the page right here, that would just be wicked pissah.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I think I got lost in the middle somewhere. We have an Off Topic Forum and link right here.

Go to the top of the screen click on Forums, 5th item on the drop down menu is the link.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I think what he is trying to say is that since we have a link... people should use it...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Leading horses to water is one thing gentlemen....but as we know, they drink when, where, and what they want.

Life is simple, if the topic doesn't interest you either don't read it, or click away and ignore the replies. No rules make you read everything posted here.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Citizen Q,

Good to see ytou on the forum!!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    So I guess we now have two, self appointed, OT police. GREAT
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Hey..You!!!!

Keep it on topic or get out of mah forum!

Eric_Cartman_Chickenlover.jpeg

Respect mah authori-ta!!!
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Trouble with that one is, you really don't know whether or not you want to ignore most of this baloney until it's way too late
  • Crimsongator
    :woohoo: The mole is a great add-on
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You know Gene you really should learn when to shut up..

Since I am one of those self-appointed OT police as you have proclaimed I gave up. You probably didn't notice that because your too busy making your off-hand remarks. The purpose of that forum was so threads like this one would not scroll the ON Topic posts off the screen. It was not meant to be a policing action and nobody was forced to post over there. Yes I suggested people post OT Topic post in the off topic section ONCE. Now according to you I am a self-proclaimed OT police.

Your attitude pretty much sums up why it won't work. So please put that attitude where the sun doesn't shine because I don't care for it, nor do I care if the Off Topic section continues to exist.

Of course like all things you do, I know you will continue making your snide remarks for a last another year... Don't bother responding to this post Gene cause I won't be reading it..
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    What do you know. I agree with Citizen Q.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    the ot forum has created even more ot than ever before :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    and some "performance art" pieces, too. hahaha

what i like is all the folks crabbing about OT posts, then you look at the post counts and the OT ones are far more popular.

this place has its up-and-downs. weeks of nothing about barbecue (in the winter) followed by months of great cooks. interspersed with the occasional nuttiness.

a lot of the folks complaining about OT haven't posted a picture or original cook in MONTHS. all they need to do is start posting to drown out those who like to have a little OT fun every now and then

i answer my fair share of newbie questions and (when i do one) post something interesting from a cook. so if i wanna post a frikkin sandcastle pic from a day goofing off, i will. wherever i want to.

i have (mostly) played by Captian Wolf's rules re: the new OT sandbox, but I won't lose a minutes sleep if someone posts an "OT" here in the main forum

if WMK and WPB see it as a problem, i will A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y toe the line.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    The easiest thing would be to...dare I say it...Change the forum format to a more modern version where threads won't get pushed down as fast.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I agree. Clicking on the thread and then on "return to index" can really take a toll on a person. LOL.
    The problem seems to be what constitutes "OT". Some people seem to think this should be just about the cooking aspect even though there's a cookbook and recipe section already in place. I think things like eggfests, cooking for troops using eggs, WessB's egg fueled tiki party and things like that or on topic. It is the egghead forum which to me means all things have an egg involved.
    I think much more space is wasted, like the other day by people who make a post asking "my fire went out, is it safe to eat?" two post after someone else asked the same question which had already been answered multiple times. There have been 54 pork butt post in the last 30 days. The lack of effort to even scroll down the page bothers me much more than an OT post.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    What he said... :)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I like the new avatar stike. :laugh:

Gator

• CBBQ
    Are you one of those jackasses he mentions in his newest post? LOL.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I'm sure that would only depend on who you ask...I do have the tee shirt tho.... :laugh: ..bought it for myself no less.... :laugh: :laugh:
    DSC00045.JPG
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi Citizen Q,

I'm afraid your grilling a dead horse. I happen to agree with you and CW but don't think that there is any use in butting heads with the "old school". The OT forum is getting some use and that is good. It will never be perfect, we are only human and have to live with that. :blush: We will never have a perfect society so I would not expect to see the perfect forum anytime soon. I quote the first post to the OT forum:
    It will be interesting to see how this new forum works out. I think everyone found it very convenient to post OT to the main forum, now we will have to get used to looking over here. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks. LOL.
    Just my thoughts,

Gator
  • CBBQ
    Well, I knew you didn't fit under the "useless loads" catagory. LOL.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    This software just isn't conducive to a lively forum. It makes that topics scroll off the screen and it's a clickfest. There are so many better forum software choices available and I think it would make everyone a lot happier.

The only other choice is a moderated forum. Strict moderation works, but it takes volunteers and someone to be in charge.
  • Crimsongator
    Nah, not wess. I am sure I am on the list, though. ;)
  • stike
    this forum is lively BECAUSE it's so antiquated...

at least that's one hypothesis.

it may not be perfect, but if there were little folders for "ribs" "paella" etc. and everyone broke off into mini-camps, i think it would stagnate. take a look at the other sections already. the traffic in the weight-loss, OT, and feedback forums pales by comparison to the main forum. now divvy up the main forum into "how to set up for an indirect" etc. you'll have plenty of people that simply go in, read a post, and get out.

might be good if that's what you want, a card file of information, but when the place started way back when, it wasn't repository of get-going-fast tips for people who want to get in and out. it was a place for the users to gather.

if it's not working for you, you can set this thing to display the most recent posts, the posts in original chrono order, flat view, etc. and you can have it email you when someone posts a response to something you actually care about.

it's a more of a bar where people who own eggs and cook on them go to hang out and discuss the egg and things related (and sometimes not). it's not a library where everyone sits quietly in their own private carrel quietly reading an answer from a book they got off the shelf easily enough because the card file was well-organized.

least that's my take on it.

people either like the forum or not. but it's self-selecting. maybe it wasn't set up by or for the folks who don't like it.

there have been a number of forums started by those upset with the current one. all have pretty mcuh failed. this place is what it is, for better or worse.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    stike,

I like the bar analogy. Could I have a beer and a shot please.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Crimsongator
    You can say what you want, but I know you'll read this. You may not respond, but you'll read it!

I am sorry you feel this way Pete. I am also sorry that you feel that you have to lash out like that.

I am sure it would surprise most folks to know that I have sent you money for the troop cooks. I also tried to work out a way for you (at your request) to get some lodge loaf pans. When things were tight with money, I even worked out a deal where you wouldn't have to pay for them and you tried to change the deal at the last minute.

In all reality, you Pete, are the one with the back handed comments. It is rather unfortunate that you will not see this. You make such flaming posts and then plug your ears with your fingers when you don't want to hear a response (or the truth).
  • stike
    just tiring. if we DID have sections for the forum, one would be for "complaints about the forum by folks who are new to the forum "
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Stike, when you look at a forum like BBQ-Brethren it is pretty easy to navigate and very active. No, you wouldnt need to have a thread for ribs, chicken, pork, etc. You could have a thread category for Eggfest, setup, General Info, etc.

No one is going to leave just because the forum changed despite what they say. I think people make too big of an issue. But it is very annoying to have to scroll through pages to find something when you can just scan one page generally. Heck, you can even do a sticky for stuff like Mad Max Turkey so that doesn't get asked 50 times in 10 threads.
  • CBBQ
    People complain about having to scroll past an OT post and yet there been 38 post, here and above on this page discussing OT post. Talk about a waste of space. In fact, shouldn't a post about OT post be on the OT Forum since it's not egg related?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    there were actually quite a few of us that disappeared from the primo forum for just that reason. there are some problems with that style forum, one is that i would never be in the setup block, here ill see someone with a setup problem and answer it. another thing mentioned here alot is to stop guests from posting til they are registered, but i see so many that cant get registered and post about that here.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    CBBQ,

There are a lot of people who have suggested updating to a more modern format. Every time it gets discussed it is voted down. The character of this forum is what it is and most of us are happy with it. A lot of folks who came on board saying it was antiquated are now quite happy with it.
    The OT forum is relatively new and I believe the jury is still out on it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON