Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy no more???

Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I buy Cowboy charcoal at my local ACE Hardware....$10 for a 20lb bag. The clerk said buy as much as you can as they as they will not be getting anymore. Anyone no the deal on this??? She thinks it on the distributors side.......

Comments

• smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    What?? Hopefully that is an isolated thing. I know a lot of guys are high on the american made RO but it's been sparky for me. I can't wait to get thru this bag and back to cooking with cowboy.
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    My local BGE dealer told me Cowboy cut them off because they were going to concentrate their sales to the bigger fish (big boxes I guess). In my humble opinion, no loss.
  • A little while back someone posted they heard that Cowboy was going to stop making lump. I emailed the company and they emailed me back saying that was not true.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Yeah, I had a bag of the stuff from Trader Joe's and wasn't impressed. I'll stick with the RO.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    At least here on the Central Coast of California Trader Joe's no longer carries Cowboy lump. :(
  • My local ACE switched from Cowboy to Frontier a while ago. I have no information as to why.
    I am in an area where there are a variety of sources and brands including other places to buy Cowboy if I want.
    As Forest Gump says “A bag of lump is like a box of chocolates – You don’t know what your gonna get till you open the bag” In other words I don’t observe no more then minimal quality control or consistency in any brand but Wicked.
    TTFN WLL
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    I prefer to buy my plumbing supplies at Ace but Cowboy is available at my Lowes even though I prefer the Kroger lump which has just become readily available in my area about the time I was beginning to freak out over not finding anymore ROak. Seems like someone said the Kroger brand is made by Royal Oak.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    WG is WAY OVERPRICED IMHO,I know you're supposed to get what you pay for but that has not been my eggsperience with lump!I have tried several really good lumps that are half the price of WG and as good or better!And YES I have bought some that should have paid me to use it.NOT knockin WG it's just pricey IMHO! :) It;s like liquor or beer,use what you like and to heck what anybody else thinks! ;)