Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump in Columbus, OH

mcarr
mcarr Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a new Egg owner in Columbus, Ohio, I drove around this afternoon checking out the local stores for lump supplies. Here are the results for anyone in my area:

Walmart (2 different stores): no lump
Target: no lump
Andersen's: Frontier Brand, about 6 10-lb bags in stock
Meijer: Frontier Brand, lots of 10-lb bags in stock
Whole Foods: no lump

Moral of the story: not much selection. I might stick with hitting the BGE dealer for lump.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Try GFS Marketplace there in Columbus. They carry their private label, but Royal Oak makes it for them. Here's a GFS store locator for you,
    http://gfs.know-where.com/gfs/
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Our Walmart in Athens doesn't keep the lump with the other charcoal :angry: They keep it out in the garden center and no one who works there knows that it exists. So if you are back in one again you might want to check. If not then the GFS suggestion is a good one.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Southeast of Columbus you will find a dealer that sells Wicked Good Lump. It is very good lump. He also sells chunks of different woods for smoking. He is located in a dilapidated old school house out in the country. It really is not a store. In the same room where he stores the lump they give concealed weapons courses. It's a rather interesting place. Call before you go to make sure he will be there.

OLD SCHOOL BBQ SUPPLY CO
    7510 Troy Rd
    Springfield, OH 45502
    (937) 964-8389
    (937) 543-8616
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    The best price on lump I have found is at the Restaurant Depot.

Here is a link to the Columbus Restaurant Depot.

They sell Royal Oak Lump for $8 for a 17.8 pound bag. Used to be 20 lbs but they shrunk recently.

Sorta like coffee cans gradually shrinking from 1 pound to 10 ounces.
  • mattrapp
    eenie meenie wrote:
    Southeast of Columbus you will find a dealer that sells Wicked Good Lump. It is very good lump. He also sells chunks of different woods for smoking. He is located in a dilapidated old school house out in the country. It really is not a store. In the same room where he stores the lump they give concealed weapons courses. It's a rather interesting place. Call before you go to make sure he will be there.

OLD SCHOOL BBQ SUPPLY CO
    7510 Troy Rd
    Springfield, OH 45502
    (937) 964-8389
    (937) 543-8616
    This sounds too interesting to not check out!
  • mcarr
    Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely check these out and post my results...
  • mcarr
    I just checked out Columbus Restaurant Depot's website but apparently you need a membership and a membership requires a vendor's license...
  • mcarr
    Yay! I am now the proud new owner of a 20-lb bag of lump from GFS. Also, I talked to the lady at the checkout and she said that they stock lump year round.
  • mattrapp
    How much was the lump at GFS?
  • mcarr
    $11 for 20 lbs ... cheap
  • mattrapp
    Not bad! I will have to load up next time I'm up in Columbus. Although I still want to check out the place in Springfield just for the experience!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Glad you found it! BTW next time you go back to GFS pick up a tub of their "Tavern Cheese" - it a great garlic cheese spread for crackers that you should like.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Menards carries the green bag of Royal Oak which is much better then red bag (wal mart) in my experience. Also, Earth Fare sells their own lump which was great.
  • I was up at Polaris maybe 2 months ago and bought a few bags from Earthfare, them stopped at DrugMart and they had a 20 lb bag for around $12 and last week I bought a couple of small bags at Kroger, so I'm set for awhile (great having small eggs that don't use much lump). Having said that, I've noticed less lump at these stores now that it's getting colder.
    Hope this helps.
    Jeff