Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SOS -- Egg Reassembly Help

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All --

Put a NOMEX gasket (thanks, Mothership!) on last weekend then had to leave for a business trip before the 24-hour wait time, so I haven't cooked on it yet. Before I do, I have a couple of questions --

I couldn't find my little plastic piece that holds the springs in compression when you detach the bands, so I had to wing it. When I got the whole thing put back together, the dome sits now towards the hinge a little bit (i.e., it is not perfectly centered). What did I do wrong? Does it matter? It's very close, just not quite as perfect as it was when I originally built the Egg.

Thanks to all who have posted gasket instructions/videos/pictures. To those who haven't yet done the gasket replacement, don't be scared. It was much easier than I anticipated -- and, easier than I think many folks make it out to be.

Matt

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    The only issue I've heard about off centre is that then a little of your gasket is directly in the heat.

Doug
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    But, I am also failing the dollar bill test in a couple of locations. Clearly, the issues are related.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Loosen everything and redo it. Make sure the bottom band is pushed all the way down, the upper band pushed all the way up and tighten. I use a small block of wood to tap the bands into position. It would have been best to put on the upper gasket first then perform the dome alignment and dollar bill test. Then put on the bottom gasket on and it will be so tight it will rip the dollar bill.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I would loosen the bands again, tighten the bottom one first in stages.

Bolt snug, make sure the lower band is seated well down.

Tighten up more, again make sure the lower band is well down. As stated above use a block of wood and tap the band down if necessay.

Tighten up just before bolt bend point. Recheck and tap if necessary.

Do the same for the top band.

Check the dollar bill test (I use 20# copy paper cut to the same width of a dollar bill).

You only need to have it snug but not free moving. If it it tight and tears so much the better but not at all necessary as per John at BGE service.

If it passes the test then final tighten to bold bend point.

GG