Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deadliest Catch filming question

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in Off Topic
anybody know how they get some of those shots which obviously have to be taken from another boat nearby. As wicked as those waves are I'd think it would be dangerous for two ships to be that close together.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Telephoto cameras. Those commercial cameras can be quite some distance from what they are shooting.

Plus they have camera mounted all over the boats.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    I bet a telephoto lens makes those waves look ten times bigger than they really are. A telephoto lens will play tricks with the perspective.

Gator
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Never been to the baring straits have ya..

While I agree with you, those waves are not too far off.. They have been known to swallow helicopters during rescues.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I know they have many mounted on the boats but it's the shots that clearly are taken from a distance are the ones I meant. It would seem both boats would be rocking violently so I'll bet there a lot of editing!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lilaccityhearth
    Options
    They did a show and i know the have the boats wired down with cameras. I think Mike Roy said there was like a mile of cable on one boat,
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Nope but have been behind many cameras.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Ron, they use a chase boat - The Sea Star cruises around the Bering Sea taking shots of the fleet as they fish.

Not sure how high the waves get but they have reported 40'.

Kent
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick: I've had dangerious jobs but that is insane!!!

Gator
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I agree and they can't/don't eat crap so that does it for me, not worth going out.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The Sea Star also is used to pick up the film from the different ships. The film crews seal and actually toss the film (containers) into the ocean, the Sea Star fetches those containers out of the ocean for transport back to LA.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    my brother was a soundman and cameraman for television.

they have as hard or even a harder time than the hosts or people they are filming sometimes. like watching Bear Grylls on "man vs. wild". keep in mind the cameraman is doing everything that Bear is doing, but doing it backwards while carrying a camera and the batteries to power the damn thing. haha

no joke. my brother went on workman's comp for a few months because he got hurt filming the host of a show as the host spent a week in "hell camp", toting boats, climbing crap, morning runs on the beach. at the time he was a soundman, and hurt himself running backward on the beach carrying a recording deck, a virtual car battery, while holding a boom mike out 12 feet. he was there while they recorde how "hard it was" for the host to run on the beach in the sand with the rest of the boot camp crew.

on the daily catch they use chase boats and helicopters, and i wouldn't doubt they are pretty close. telephoto lenses are great, but they flatten things and aren't that quick at night.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Ron,
    On a recent after the catch episode they had a guy who skippers the/a chase boat. On occasions you'll see the chase boat from an on boat camera.

The chase boat skipper talk of the Time Bandit guys doing crazy crap like slowing down or jogging one way or another to mess with him. He said he would be pretty close in.

I wonder on some of those shots if they are not using a camera on one of the big cranes the boats use. On a chase boat with only a camera at the end you could use a taller/longer/more articulated crane to get some of those shots I'd bet seeing that a camera weighs less than a crab pot by far.