Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Roast Suckling Pig

Options
PRobinson
PRobinson Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on smoking a roast suckling pig on the 4th July. Any idea how large the XL Egg will hold? Any tips? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,839
    Options
    seen a pic with a 62 pounder in the large, how big did you want to go ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hey Paulette, can't help you with that, but did you see this from Atlanta last year? -RP

P1020889Small.jpg
  • fishlessman
    Options
    look at richards pic, they cut out a few vertibrae to bend the back legs up ;)
    fukahwee maine

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    there are two ways to do it depending on how big the pig is. . .if its small enough to curl up on the grid you can do it that way. .. . but i saw a guy in atlanta last year do a 60 pounder (really i think it qualified as a "hog" rather than a suckling pig). ..he removed the fire ring, stuck his plate setter feet up down on the fire box. .. he took the pig, split the backbone so he could open the pig up (think 'spatchcock') ..then he cut out 2 or 3 of the vertebre completely ...then he folded the pig in half so that he was able to tie the hind feet up by the pigs ears and the front feet were by the pigs chin. . . by doing this he was able to set the pig on a pan and set it down on the plate setter and the entire 60 pounder fit neet as a pin in the large egg. ...he injected it with a siimple marinade and roasted it (don't know how long). ...pulled it out when it hit around 190 in the hams and shoulders, and it was absolutely moist and delicious....

here's a pic of it in the egg

eggtoberfest08004.jpg

and here is a pic of it out of the egg before serving. . .it was the hit of eggtoberfest last year

eggtoberfest08012.jpg

now, having said all this, don't know how it would fit in an XL, so if you have a small suckling pig, that would probably work just curled up on the grid over a heat barrier. ...

btw, good to see you here paullette!!!!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the one i seen a few years back curled was wrapped in chicken wire, made it easier to flip the whole thing. did you taste the hog max, was it smokey from the grease caused that thing must have been really smoking with that setup :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Wife and I in Chicago 1 month ago China Town whole Suckling Pig $150.00. Looked to be 40 lbs cooked.
    Almost bought one. Did get a duck head and all wnderful presentation.

E
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    it was really tasty. . .. you can see it was sitting in a rack in a pan, so it did catch the grease. ...also, those folks initally started it at home, then brought it to the eggfest to finish it, so maybe they dumped some of the grease along the way. .. i think with removing the fire ring, i can't imagine that at some point they didn't have to do a reload of charcoal, so maybe they poured of the grease at that point as well. ..i don't know. ..it was damn good, i can tell you that, and i was there for the first rib!! :-)
  • PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. Posted inquiry and then left for a couple of days. I will definitely take a picture and learn to post picture after the cook.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Yes! That's the one I remembered seeing here. Very nice.

Hope you're on the mend, Beli.