Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple baked beans

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody have a link to the bean recipe that used canned apple pie filling in it? I thought it was on Third Eye's site but I couldn't find it. -RP

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    You mean this one?

Beans, Baked, Keri's Hog-Apple, Thirdeye

I was thinkin' this might just the ticket for the Memorial Day weekend...Beans are one of my favorite side dishes. I have several of my own favorites, and 3 or 4 recipes from other folks I use. I generally cook beans (pinto and Great Northern) from scratch. With one or two exceptions I don't use canned beans, and I don't really care for the sweet BBQ baked beans. But I love cooking for others and BBQ baked beans are very popular, so lately the quest was on to find a GREAT recipe for baked beans. I have found it. You may be familiar with Keri C, who posts on several barbecue forums, her recipes are legendary. About 15 people recommended her recipe to me, here it is. The apple pie filling and the sausage are wonderful additions. This is a keeper.~thirdeye~

INGREDIENTS:
    3-4 Slices Bacon, diced
    2 16 Oz Can Pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
    1/2 cup Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
    1 lb smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 Can Apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbs Mustard (prepared)
    1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
    1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Procedure:
    1 Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.
    2 This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.
    3 *This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.
    4 Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    5 09/18/07
    Add all the goo from the pie filling. The beans get a rinse. ~thirdeye~

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 2007/05/26

09/17/07----egret,

First off, as you have probably heard, Keri's recipe is outstanding. It is one of three recipes which use canned beans that I make. (and one is a pasta/bean thing which does not even count). Anyway, I have made it both ways and something closer to the 2 - 28's is a real crowd pleaser.

I drain and rinse the beans in a colander so the can juice does not interfere with the magic in this recipe.

~thirdeye~
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I like it with peaches a lot better...
  • I'll have to try that!! We've always just used apples.

I have found that I prefer to make it a day ahead and re-heat. It's good the first day, but I really like the texture and flavors after sitting for a night.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    That's it, thanks Richard. -RP
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    You are welcome! Drop me your usps addy when you have time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Randy,

Because these are so good, I asked Keri a couple of years ago if I could add it to my site...I didn't get an reply one way or the other, so I didn't post it there. Plan on printing up copies of the recipe to hand out.....they are that well liked.

Jack's Old South makes a version with peach pie filling and just this year Rick's Tropical Delight made another similar version with cherry pie filling. the color on
    Rick's were outstanding. I haven't gotten around to trying them yet.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery