Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tsunami Spinning Chicken EVEN BETTER!

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
Must have a tough of dementia...I totally forgot the GINGER. Also, I made this recipe last night using skinless, boneless thighs. When half done, I put some sauce in a bowl and dunked the thighs. I did this about 3 times, and heated some more sauce which I poured over them on the platter. The other important modification...instead of the chipotles, I used hot chili paste. This works much better (IMHO) because the chipotle smoke sort of overpowered the coconut/run/ginger/lime thing. Really, this is much better. Here's the update of ingredients:[p]
Tsunami Spinning Chicken[p]1 whole chicken, (about 6 lb) backbone removed and flattened***[p]Peanut oil, enough to coat the skin
Chopped ginger for seasoning under the skin
Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin Rub (several tablespoons) to coat[p]Finishing sauce:
1/2 C Taste of Thai brand lite coconut milk
1 T light rum
1 T freshly shredded or chopped ginger
Juice of 1/2 lime, plus the zest
1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 or 2 teaspoons hot chili paste (or sambal oelek), or to taste[p]Directions:
Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels. [p]Loosen skin all over the chicken, and rub some Tsunami Spin and chopped ginger under the skin. Rub a bit more oil on the skin, and sprinkle the bird liberally with the Tsunami Spin Rub. [p]Preheat the Egg to around 325-350, and keep it at this temperature throughout the cook.
Lay the chicken, cut side down, on an elevated grid. I do not use a drip pan, and I do not flip the bird during the cook.[p]While the chicken is roasting, make the finishing sauce by combining the ingredients and stirring well to dissolve the sugar. Taste and adjust to suit your palate. [p]Check the internal temperature of the meat with a Polder or instant read thermometer. When the bird is about half done, brush liberally with the sauce, and repeat a few more times; try to use up all the sauce. When the internal temperature of the thigh reaches about 180, shut the Egg dome and damper and let it sit for 15-20 min. With the air source shut off, the bird will not dry out. [p]Remove the chicken, let it rest on a carving board for another 10 minutes or so, and carve it up. If you have leftover sauce, heat it up and serve as "gravy."[p]***Note: WooDoggies and I did this recipe at the Pocono EggFest using chicken pieces, which worked out perfectly. This is a great way to do skinless, boneless thighs. Dip the pieces (when half cooked) into the sauce and return them to the grill rather than brushing it on. I think this also would be an awesome way to do wings!

[p]

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Gretl,
    Not sure if WD or NB mentioned it at the 'FarmFest', but for our competition cooks with chicken, we've been using a ginger flavored brine that works wonders. A basic salt/brown sugar brine, but add a quartered lime and a 1" piece of peeled ginger root.. bring to boil for 10 minutes to release the flavors and chill to 40F.. add yer chicken and brine for 12 hrs (for whole 6 lber as you described; 4-6 hrs for pieces).... It introduces the ginger aspect to the dish in a very subtle manner that you might find appealing.... I also double-grind the Tsunami Spin in competition for a fine dusting on the finished skin..
    Qfan

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]This sounds very good to me. I have used ginger ale post mix syrup for a base sweetner for a brine and sauces, but have never really used any "real" ginger. My only experience with ginger has been the candied and powdered. I assume I don't need to grate it, just peel it and toss it in?[p]I'll have to get some and give this a try.[p]Thanks!
    Ashley[p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Zip,
    Better make a trip to the ATM before you go! That 1" piece of fresh ginger will set you back about 12 cents! LOL
    Yeah, peel that fine papery skin off, toss the ginger root in, boil it up and you'll be surprised at the depth of flavor that gets into the brine..
    Qfan

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Wow, I may be able to afford that. I found a very cool Asian market in Gainesville a year or so ago and finally stocked the pantry with some things that would make Chris/Nature Boy proud. The only thing I would buy in the past there was some woks, steamers, pressure cookers, rice cooker, and the big honkin' bottle of Maggie seasoning. I now have stuff like fish, oyster, hoisin, pepper sauces and chili and sesame oils. I've got some other stuff that I'm not sure what it is, but I know there wasn't any fresh ginger.[p]The lady in there walked around with me and put stuff in the basket based on some of the things I showed her on a menu I liked. I know she thought she had her hands full with me, considering I was sporting my overalls and all. What was funny about this whole experience was the frozen food section. It looked like where Morimoto from Iron Chef would shop. The only thing in that section I even considered buying was the chicken feet. They actually came in BBQ flavor, but at seven buck a dozen I passed. [p]Way more than you wanted to know, but I have started down the path of Asian spices........so watch out. My bourbon chicken recipe is as far as I have ever ventured in this direction.[p]Ashley
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    NB mentioned very little at the FarmFest. He was totally absorben in Tasmanian Devil warp-speed cooking. Never seen anything like it.[p]The brining idea is a good one. I haven't brined anything recently because of poor planning and disorganization, both qualities I seem to be perfecting. [p]One tip that has worked for me: when I see a really fresh ginger root at the store--one with shiny smooth skin--I buy a lot of it, peel it, and cut it into thumb-size chunks and preserve it in vodka in a covered container in the fridge. It lasts a long time that way. I save the peel and throw it on the hot coals for smoking; same with star anise (soaked). When I cook Asian on the Egg, it's easy and it smells SOOOO good.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    LOL, Hi Gretl,
    I have been absorben since friday night. I wish we had more time to park our butts in a couple chairs and share a beverage and some cooking tales. Anyway, Qfan's brine is really nice. A very subtle ginger flavor all the way to the bone, and a nice light lime twang all the way through. If you did this, you could probably skip putting the ginger under the skin. With the ginger in your wonderful sauce, and that light brine, it could be sweet![p]Been kind of one of those blur kinda weekends and weeks. A month's worth of stuff happened it seems. Still reeling a bit! [p]Neat idea on the Vodka preserved ginger.
    Cheers, and howdy to the boys!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ