Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck Prosciutto

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
making some duck prosciutto. if we make it to the NH/NE Eggfest, plan is to smoke it there, and serve this. Haven't figured out in exactly what manner, though. First step is to make it....

Hmmmm. what's this?

buried.jpg

Well, buried in here are eight beautiful duck breasts. I used an entire box of Kosher salt, so the top is pickling salt, which is frankly the same thing, only finer (table salt) and with some minerals removed (because it can toughen veggies skins, like when making pickles).

The salt covered the breasts for 24 hours, in the fridge. No other prep.

Dug them out and shook off the salt.

uncovered.jpg

Then rinsed them.

rinsing.jpg

They are much firmer than when they go in, and yet they are very moist. Anyone tells you that seasoning a steak with some salt ahead of time will dry out the meat, tell them they are high. hahaha Even this won't dry out the duck breast. It does firm up due to some moisture loss, but they are plump and firm. Hold them at one end and they cantilever out straight as a board. But not dry or hard. Then rinsed them WELL. All salt should be washed off. Patted/dried all sides and dusted with white pepper

dusted.jpg

wrapped them loosely in cheesecloth, tied with kitchen twine

tying.jpg

Pretty Maids all in a row...

prettymaidsallinarow.jpg

And hung in a cool, dark place with lots of air circulation. They'll be ready in a week or ten days. Some of these were big.

drying.jpg

Plan is to smoke them whole, very low temp (but probably not truly "cold" smoking them. Then to slice thin and serve, with cantaloupe or something complimentary that allows the duck flavor to come through but eases the saltiness.

I imagine (based on the number of times my bacterial-slash-food safety rationale has been called into question here!) that I will have a hard time giving it away. That's the plan. Whatever is left over will go home with me and a breast or two to essexco.

hahaha
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    stike,
    If I could be there I would be all over it and you might have to ask me to stop eating and save some for the others. looks great :)
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• stike
    we plated some for easter. only made one breast.

after trying it, i had another, and another. the wife ate two or thre also. half hour before the guests arrived we were saying "we could finsih this and just put out some cheese and crackers." hahaha
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Where did you get the technique Jeff, Charcuterie? -RP
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Stike, wish I was going to taste those babies!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Oh yea we think! oops eat alike :laugh:
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    That might be worth a drive north :woohoo:
  • Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Safety be damned! I'd eat it before you could get it on the plate, Stike.
  • stike
    yeah. i mean. no. um. my great grandfather had a small farm in brittany, and raised his own pigs and ducks. this was his technique, handed down for generations.

yeah, that's it. sounds better!

not much to it, but it is transformative.

simple salt curing. no nitrites required. it's a simple farmhouse kinda thing.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Stike they look and sound so good I will by next week for some. Let us know how they come out. I am sure they will be great. Thanks for a good post. :)
  • stike
    thanks. it's sucj a stupid recipe. like making mac n cheese from a box. trying to figure out how to do a simple smoke and way to serve it.

might try cold smoking. that'd be a cool thing for a fest.
  • stike
    i could mail it, UPS ground delivery, and it'd be fine.
    hahahaha
  • stike
    saddle up!
  • stike
    thanks. haven't been posting many cooks lately. i heard through the grapevine there was a backlash of folks complaining about the dudes that can "only" do steak and ribs... so i stopped bothering to take pics

but i'm slowly putting my toe back in here, as far as posting my own stuff, versus just answering questions.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Ok stikemano (steekmano), that looks fantastic, something the family made yesteryear, I am interested in learning how that comes out
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • stike
    thou haveth mail.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Cut the BS you never met your great grandfather and I'm guessing Michael Ruhlman had something to do with it, anyway sounds awesome! -RP
  • stike
    i admitted right up front it was ruhlman. hahahaha

go get the book
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Jeff....we're talking major leagues here....incredible technique.....and great results.....
  • stike
    well. easy technique. and the results remain to be seen! hahaha

(thank you for the vote of confidence!)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    RP and Stike...Since you are both on the same thread, and like me, very much a Ruhleman fan, I have to tell you about a little paperback book I picked up. Written in 1986, MANY years before Ruhleman. It is called "American Charcuterie" by Victoria Wise. Though she does not have the duck proscuitto recipe, many of her recipes are IDENTICAL to Ruhlemans, which was not published until 2005. She has some unique recipes...worth the few bucks on Amazon or where ever. (She had the right ideas, wrong time, and wrong promoters...IMHO) Great book, and worth the $9. Just an FYI. ;)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Very cool, but that's the question...how cool? I can get the conduit, but in Houston I doubt I can hang anything for more than an hour. Mouth watering.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • stike
    thanks for the heads up!.

in ruhlman's defense, i think a lot of the stuff is traditional technique. i mean, i seriously have a hard time taking credit for this stuff when i serve it. hahaah

the "recipe" is ridiculously easy and probablt predates ruhlman by about 500 years or so. hahaha

i'm going to look up the book you recommended. i've been playing around with a bunch of stuff, and having great fun curing. just wish some of the cuts were more readily available (organic pork fresh hams, bellies, etc.)
  • stike
    yeah

i'm in a fieldstone basement in new england. i have some home-brew Russian stout around here somewhere been aging for better than fifteen years. i imagine it would have exploded in your basement by now!

hhahaha
  • stike
    great minds....
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    What's a basement??? LOL Grandma had one in Illinois, but they don't exist here. Grandpa use to make his own wine and root beer. Wish I could have been around to sample either.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • stike
    hahaha

slab on grade, eh?

my studio is in the basement. when it rains havily, water rolls down the inside of the wall about a foot away from my computer.

i think it'll be ok. hahaha
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Totally agreed!!! I "stumbled" on some pork bellies last week...have them curing for pancetta as we type. It took me a good year to find these little "bellies". Making salt pork from my trimmings. But truly, very frustrating. Can't find good pig "parts" (extras)! When you do, it is just a fluke. I'll let you know how the pancetta turns out. ;) (Long dry cure, heavily flavored, then long dry as well.)
    Thanks for sharing your ideas. ;)
  • stike
    i found a place about 30 miles away that said to call with an order and they could turn it around in a week or so. bellies, fresh ham, whatever you need, from their own pigs. i need to talk to them about how they raise them. if i am going to try prosciutto (i mean, from a ham), i'd kinda like a really nice chunk. something finished on acorns or something. not a commercial bland-o-pig.

bought the book, by the way.

one click on amazon from a store near me in MA. crazy world....

thank you
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Like I told you yesterday, I will be first in line in NH for a slice. that looks so good!! keep us posted on the smoke you decide on.
  • stike
    fidel and i were thinking cherry.

i have guava, pear, cherry. maple, oak, hickory, coconut shell, plus sugar maple and pecan with thanks to thirdeye

problem is a comingled the pear and cherry and they both look similar at this point hahaha