Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Cap for a large BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey,[p]Are their differences in sizes for replacement caps for a large BGE.[p]I kinda, lika, sorta broke my original cap when I lifted the top of the egg too fast. Glue is not an option. [p]Bought a replacement from a local dealer official BGE stuff, but the new cap appears to be a little larger the the one that came with the large BGE. The original seemed to have a taper.[p]The new one has a little play all around about 1/8 " but seems flatter. I might be too anal, but what the heck. Flat seal is good but I might have to be careful on the open since it is not as snug.[p]Any feed back would be excellent.[p]

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    jetjump, just my 2 cents here, but I believe all you want is for the dome throat to be flat (that is all in the same plane) and the same for the inside of the cap. Afterall it's just ceramic against ceramic and should suffice cutting off the outflow of air - with that said the tightness of the seal of your bottom vent is more critical than the top as it stops the intake of air thus snuffing the fire.
    As for there being a difference in sizes I personally doubt it. These pieces all start out in a liquid form called "slip" and is poured into molds. The molds extract the water and eventually the residual clay becomes a solid called greenware. Before it is fired in a kiln this greenware is somewhat pliable and can sag and get out of shape - once fired then it is very rigid. Two of my fire rings are more oval then round.
    PS - how do I know this stuff? 38 years ago in my senior year in college I treated myself to one elective art/craft class. I darn near got kicked out because the instructor didn't want some senior business major in his class because it would imply his class was an "underwater basket weaving class"! Not bragging but I received one of only 3 A's he gave that semester and I had a ball!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,[p]Thanks for the quick follow up.[p]It might be the size of the large BGE to where the cap goes on. But really the new cap is larger. It is also flatter so I think I am A OK.[p]Thanks for the input but the green stuff comes outta China or Mexico. Heart surgery is out. You have made me feel great about the replacement. THANKS!![p]I just need to be careful with the slight slide as I lift the lid. Tight seal at the top is still good. The old had a few bumps that prevented that.[p]Regards.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    jetjump,
    just take the rain cap off whenever you open it.
    the only reason i have the rain cap on is when i'm snuffing it, or protecting it from rain.[p]try to cultivate the habit of taking the cap off, then opening the sucker.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante