Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15-Bean Sausage and Pulled Pork Soup

Options
Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A 15-bean soup mix caught my eye so I decided to whip up a “kitchen sink” soup with it this evening.

Purchased this package
IMG_8352.jpg

and discarded the seasoning packet, then washed and picked over the beans.
IMG_8357.jpg

An overnight soak would work fine, but I wanted dinner in an hour, so the dry beans went into the pressure cooker for 25 minutes along with 50/50 chicken stock/water, a bit of oil and salt to keep the foaming down, bay leaves from the garden and some celery and carrot for flavor.

Figuring that the beans would benefit from the addition of rice to make a complete protein complement, I put some organic basmati rice on to cook.

While the beans were cooking, I checked the freezer and withdrew some pulled pork (previously Egged and Foodsavered) and a package of turkey sausage, then defrosted them using circulating water:
IMG_8359.jpg

IMG_8358.jpg

To defat the sausage and enhance its flavor I decided a brief visit to Mr. Egg might help:
IMG_8360.jpg

As the beans were finishing up, I sweated some carrot, onion and celery in a stock pot:
IMG_8362.jpg

and made a gremolata from the tops of the celery along with a bit of rosemary from my garden (from top left inside saucer: rosemary, garlic, celery leaves, lemon peel).
IMG_8365.jpg

I then combined the cooked beans with the sweated root vegetables and the cooked meat, and let the stock pot simmer for 10 minutes to pull everything together before tasting and correcting seasoning.

Served gumbo-style, with the soup atop the rice, then topped with the gremolata. As an aside to the home gardeners, table is set with “Seminole Pink” hibiscus and “Endless Summer” hydrangea:
IMG_8381.jpg

This was a satisfying meal, filling but not heavy, just a bit of smoke from the sausage and pulled pork but also some brightness from the gremolata. For this bean mix 20 minutes in the pressure cooker would have been plenty, as the tiniest beans were overcooked and a bit mushy.

In conclusion, this cook is cheap, fast, healthy, and a good alternative to sandwiches or ABTs for using up pulled pork in the freezer. The sausage and pork were Egged, and the whole soup could have been made entirely in the Egg, but due to the short cook time there are no particular advantages to doing the soup there. I’ll make this one again.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Dayum,that's all,Dayum!!! ;):whistle:
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Good to see you posting Dave!! We've missed you. I've made that 15 bean soup before but you really put a nice twist on it. Will have to make it again doing the CD version. Hope you stick around for a while.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Dave....As always, a beautiful cook!! (And to Hoss, who hasn't been here long enough to know Dave...yeah man... ;) ...you haven't seen the best of the egg yet!) Dave...hope you can find it in yourself to come back to the forum. You are a very talented man, with many things to share. Great to see you again...and, ummm...can I come over for a bowl of soup? :whistle: Looking great, as always from you! ;) Thanks for the post. ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Great looking soup. I like your informative style of post.

Gator
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :blush: Ruck row!I did bad! :huh:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Bean soups rock. You took this one to whole new level CD - nice to see you in da hood.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Looks great Dave. The vac pac of pork looks more like 503 grams, not 500! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

BTThumbsup.jpg

btw, you are the first to get the BT Thumbs up! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    Great looking cook and way to go on using some unusual combo of ingredients. Nice to see you posting again.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Nice work with the meaty bean soup. Your flowers at the dinner table are a visual treat.
    Gardenpetuniaflowers0004.jpg
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Jim Hurst, the guy who manages his family bean company in Indianapolis is an acquaintance - I sent him the link to your post so that he can appreciate what folks do with his product. Who knows, maybe you'll generate a whole new line of business for him . . . :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Looks terrific Dave. I never would have thought to put pulled pork in a soup.

I've done some very similar soups with ham and pork shanks....the pulled pork intrigues me.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    ruh roh....better get that scale calibrated! :laugh:
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Fidel, my thought process was triggered by a two-protein recipe on the back of the bean bag. I like bean soup but usually use bacon in mine. I thought, "ham and beans? If I can do ham and beans, why not pork and beans? And why not rice to complement the beans? And why not use low-fat sausage? And why not Egg it to enhance the flavor? And why not a gremolata to keep it from tasting too heavy on a June day?"

This is a high-fiber, high-protein, low fat recipe, so I think it would be helpful to anybody trying to fill up without consuming lots of calories. Leaving out the rice would make it more Atkins-y, but I did use brown rice. The richness of flavor is really nice. There's obviously a little bit of fat in the pork, but I cook fat cap down and really there shouldn't be much. There might have been 1 T of oil used to sweat the veggies, but that's about it. I think it would freeze well, too.

Just don't overcook the beans the way I did!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Nice pic, Clay.

The Japanese beetles are tearing up my hibiscus so I was lucky to get two unspoiled blooms. I have Cherie (soft orange from Monrovia) and Seminole pink (the ones in the pics).

I got some spray Sevin but hesitate because the two hibiscus trees are amid my culinary garden. :sick:

So, if you see me growing an extra arm at Eggtoberfest, you'll know why!