Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Can anyone recommend a good sushi cook book?

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a good intro book, but most seem to make this simple meal into a real science project. Can anyone recommend a straight forward book for a beginner? ...and to bring it around, you could sear a mushroom on the egg and roll it into your sushi - that'd be awesome. I'll try it next time and post a pic.

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• Nicolas_Kershanko
    Options
    I hope you don't mind, I am going to relate a story and brag a bit.

Every year, a member of the family holds a holiday dinner party. The kicker is that the male does the entire cook and last holiday season was my turn.

I decided to do Sushi. I researched into how to roll the sushi, which ingredients to use, and where to buy everything. I bought a couple of books to start.

I practiced my technique on variations of the simple California roll. It included inside-out rolls with tobiko on the outside. I also practiced cutting and plating. This went on for 6 weeks.

I couldn't decide on what rolls to make so I went to a local Sushi restaurant's website that I frequented and looked at their menu.

When the day came, I had enough ingredients to make 12 different kinds of specialty rolls. I also made 3 different sauces (citrus, spicy mayo, spicy teriyaki) that I could 'zip' across a roll. I made my own custom menu that I gave to the guests. The person would order one and I made the roll in front of them.

After this experience, the best advice I could give is that books aren't as good as watching a chef do it at a sushi bar, watching video, and practicing. I found plenty of videos on YouTube and on Sushi sites on how to roll sushi.

Good Luck.

Lots of practice
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Never read book just looked a internet sites. I did this a while back and posted my first time http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=490559&catid=1#
    Really it is Maki-zushi but most people refer to it as sushi. Really quite easy! Good luck and let me know if I can help.
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Thanks. I was looking for a book as a gift. I have a couple and they're not that great. They're both so complicated and technical and it just doesn't have to be that hard.

Ed
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    Options
    Ponder this over a few beers....If it is Sushi, can it be called a "cookbook"!

Kidding :blink:
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    >sushi cook book...

Sushi cook book? Isn't that an oxymoron?