Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need your comments regarding rain caps

eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It looks like it might rain quite a bit and I have to fix 5 or 6 butts for a graduation...........so I went out and bought a 6 inch diameter one from Home Depot for my XLG egg and a 4 inch diameter one for the ssmall egg.
IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg
Anyone think that one design is superior to the other design?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Wow, this forum is awesome. The top one gets my vote, probably cheaper too, take the other one back. The rain isnt a big deal really. The daisy should be almost closed for a 250deg cook anyway.

:)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Not sure which design is best, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had a birds nest in the bottom one by tomorrow ;-)

Beers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    What Bacchus said...I've never quite understood the purpose of a rain cap, myself. If you're low and slow, the daisy is barely open anyway, and if you're doing a sear it's turning the few drops that get in into steam in a flash.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Either that or I'll be seeing a space alien coming out of it. :laugh:
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    The one I have is similar to the one on top (not saying it is superior, just that is what I have).

I use it for start up when I want the top vent wide open and the fire isn't going much yet. Mine won't fit over the daisy wheel anyway. Once going most of the time the Daisy wheel will do a good enough job keeping the rain out, especially for a low and slow. What little drops get through just land on the meat and go to the drip pan. However, if yours will fit over the daisy, not a bad idea. I suppose it might affect air flow every so slightly requiring just a smidge more opening on the vent.

Good luck!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i use a piece of foil folded (tented) over the handle of the daisy....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • iBeeSmok'n
    iBeeSmok'n Posts: 270
    Both look great. This is what i use.

PA222328.jpg
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I've never used a rain cap and have never ad a problem. I do however own stock in Home Depot, so keep them both. In fact buy a few more.
  • That is a great idea! I like the way you were able to simply modify the standard dasiy wheel cap.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Being cheap, this is what I use.
    RainCover.jpg
  • fsmith
    fsmith Posts: 43
    I bought this one to use last weekend, $10 at Lowes. I was doing a bunch of pulled pork for my niece's graduation and didn't want to take a chance. I had to get the fire started and the meat on in between severe thunderstorms, I mean some real gulley washers that would have put some water down the daisy wheel. I had 35lbs of meat going and wasn't going to risk it.

Using the BBQ Guru I always set my daisy wheel wide open. This vent fit perfectly over the daisy wheel cap and was snug enough not to move even in the strong winds.

IMG_2259.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    In these parts our rain sometimes comes from the sides due to prevailing winds so I find my coolie hat style works best for me. If you have the same situation you could bend the 3 brackets on the first one so the cap is closer to the opening. Otherwise just my .02 but I'd return that second one in a jiffy!
    IMG_0209.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    not being a smarty pants here, but running your Guru cable in through the top puts it at more risk that the conventional placement by just closing the dome on it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.