Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Tonight

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Always get nervous when I do these because they are a little pricey..but they always turn out wonderful. A little olive oil, lots of pepper and some kosher salt and go. What do you think for 4 people...a 3 rib? Maybe creamed spinach and a salad on the side?[p]mShark

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I smoked one this past Sunday. Have cooked them on my Traeger but not on the egg. The butcher & I discussed the size for 6 adults. I decided to take the whole thing, thinking it would be about 12 pounds. Turns out to be 17 pounds (bone in) & 18 inches long.[p]I dusted it with rub, placed my polder in one end. It read 46 degrees internal.[p]I tried to keep the temp at 225 but it crept higher. My references said to expect a "bone-in" to take longer. When the internal temp reached 130, I removed it & wrapped it in film 905. Put it in a styrofoam cooler. It held the temp for 2 hours. The internal creeped up to 140.[p]I mist all products with olive oil & apple juice every 30 minutes. The prime rib took only 3 hours.[p]It turned out perfect.[p]Good Luck. The price was in the $6 to $7 range per pound.[p]

• IQ
    IQ Posts: 16
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I like your choice of seasonings, with this wonderful cut of meat I like to taste the beef not the rub. A 3 rib roast will be more than enough, it seems to me that when I cook this roast the meat is richer so we eat a smaller amount..Notice I said smaller not small.[p]I like to serve this with salad, rice & whatever vegetable looks the best when I go to the store. If it is fresh spinach I sautee mine in olive oil & season with salt & pepper.[p]You gonna have a great meal no matter what!![p]Lewis

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]A 3-rib would be just right. Recently I did a 2-rib for 4 people and the serving plate was licked clean with some people wishing for more. Sides were baked potato and salad.[p]TRex
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    TRex,[p]Here's what I don't remember. If I do this at around 325, about how long/lb do you estimate it's gonna take. I figure about 20-25 mins. You'd THINK I'd write this down.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Mine was a 5 pounder, 2-bone-in - it took roughly 2 hrs 15 minutes to reach 135 internal at dome temp of 275, using an indirect setup.[p]Hope that helps,[p]TRex