Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used egg dilemma

Options
smalljaws
smalljaws Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went and looked at a large egg this afternoon. The seller and I agreed on a fair price and after breaking down the egg I noticed two very fine cracks on the inside of the base. The cracks form an upside down "u" shape, about 7-inches long with the top of the "u" about an inch from the top of the egg. The cracks are not wide nor deep I could barely feel them when I ran my fngernail over the surface. The egg is about two years old and used only a handfull of times, the inside looks brand new. If it had been used 10 or so times I probably would not have been able to see the cracks.

Should I walk away or are very fine cracks common on the inside. I never noticed any on my medium, but may not have inspected thouroughly.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Walk away and quickly.

That egg is damaged and not under warranty..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have a broken egg you can buy.

Remember no warranty to you. Have him get the base replaced if he is the original owner then buy the egg.

It is the old story 'If The Price Is Right'. Me I'd get new if there is anyway I could afford the difference, but in the same breath I wouldn't be without an egg.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Agree with GG. Hold your price, them have him get it all replaced under warranty first. Otherwise, walk.
  • smalljaws
    Options
    Well I did not purchase the egg. I did walk away and wanted to confirm my concerns. He purchased the egg locally from a dealer and told me he would send a picture to BGE and see what they will do. Now I understand their customer service is great, but will they send him a new base for just a very faint/surface defect?
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Is the crack a crack in the ceramic, or just a crack in the green outer coating called the glaze? If it is just the glaze, that is a minor defect, if it is a crack in the ceramic, that is major, and you want no part of that.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You have no idea just how deep those cracks are. From the description it sounds like they were caused by an impact of some type

Thermal cracks don't usually form in a V shape. It is possible, but highly unlikely. BGE might replace the base and they might not. If they do and he still wants to sell it you are good to go. If they don't you aren't the one stuck with an egg you'd have to pay to repair.

You could always tell him you'd buy it minus the cost of repair..
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    OOPS, I forgot that you said the crack is on the inside of the base, that is a crack in the ceramic.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Pete,

BGE Canada replaced a base for me under warranty. I was terrified it would break open and dump burning lump. Maybe he should have the vendor ask for the replacement.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I didn't say they wouldn't Steven I said they might.

However, since the original owner didn't already go through the warranty process to get it replaced I have to ask why.

Did he not know about the V crack? Unlikely since that crack was probably from an impact. If he knew it was from an impact and knew he couldn't get a new part is that why he is actually selling it and hoped the seller missed the crack or understand the significance of that crack?

Anyway it goes.. I'd walk away from this one.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Didn't think about it that way. It must be my underlying honesty. Hate that.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I have the same thoughts as you, but on the other hand, the owner may not know of the warranty. I recall many questions on here about cracked fireboxes from people who came here for the first time to ask about it. Many of them had no idea it was covered by warranty.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Regardless.. If he knew about the crack and didn't know about the warranty he still didn't tell him about the crack. What else did he not tell him?
  • smalljaws
    Options
    I don't think the guy is trying to pull a fast one. I doubt he knew there was a crack, He probably only used the thing 2 or 3 times, just not an "egg" person. I only noticed the crack because I was looking it over very carefully. It's lke a hairline fracture more than a crack, you can't feel any depth to it. Nonetheless I'd be freaking about it if I had broght it home.

Thanks for the input.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Are you insinuating that a person would not tell someone about a problem with an item they're selling? I am shocked, as shocked as Captain Renault in Casa Blanca when he said "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" right before the croupier handed the good captain his winnings.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    I am with GG and the rest of the crew. Let him get the base replaced and if he still wants to sell it ,you are good to go. I would give the top and inner components the same scrutiny you gave the base. Good job breaking it down and giving it a good inspection. I did the same thing on a Large I bought. Luckily there were no cracks or faults with it. :)
  • Tony S.
    Tony S. Posts: 114
    Options
    I had thought that the ceramics of the Egg were guaranteed forever. Is this not the case?
    Manitoba, Canada Large BGE
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Lifetime warranty is only to the original owner.
  • Tony S.
    Tony S. Posts: 114
    Options
    Thanks for that. I am planning on getting a large next week.
    Manitoba, Canada Large BGE