Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BabyBack\'s! Lots of pics :-)

MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here are my rib pics from Friday night. A little story on the ribs, I had gone to Sam's Club to buy some pork butts when I saw that the baby back 3-packs were mislabeled as spare's. So I changed my mind and went with the baby backs over the pulled pork. The guy working at Sam's said if you see them labeled as spare's we have to sell them to you like you see them. Worked out great for me. Come to find out my cousin's wife absolute favorite food is ribs.

On the ribs I used Famous Dave's Rib Rub (I had only a half bottle of DP stuff so had to go with what was available locally). The FD's is actually pretty good. For BBQ sauce I brushed on some Blues Hog at the end.

Enjoy the pics and Happy Memorial Day to all the veterans who have served and given their lives for our country.

Not ready to eat yet but getting there.
_MG_5987.jpg

_MG_5990.jpg
Some 50/50 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar.
_MG_5993.jpg

_MG_5997.jpg

Now they're done!

_MG_6072.jpg

_MG_6074.jpg

_MG_6075.jpg
Does any other bbq sauce look as good as Blues Hog when it's brushed on ribs?
_MG_6076.jpg

Comments

• duchunter
    duchunter Posts: 110
    Darn Good Looking RIBS!!!!!!

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker

• Have to agree that those are some really great looking baby backs. I have to confess that every time I have eaten baby backs at restaurants and bar b q joints they always disappoint, but after looking at what you made, i may have to give those a shot.
  • Great looking cook!
    You have to get you a cast iron grate for "Father's Day"! You will really like the way it sears your steaks etc. Can't wait to get back home to put some on the BGE!
  • mfox2064
    mfox2064 Posts: 39
    ok... questions. I have BB ribs from sams that I'm about to start this morning. Can u give some details on time, dome temp, etc. I'd really appreciate it.

Thx,
    Mike
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    John,

Great pics, and I'm happy that you were able to get a good deal on the ribs! Everything looks amazing there. I've recently picked up an XL, and wanted to know what you're using as a drip pan in that narrow area. I tried the platesetter under the fire ring, and could get the cooker to breathe correctly for the long cook.
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Looking to do the same on Monday. :lol:
  • smoketown
    smoketown Posts: 17
    I also went to Sam's and Famous Dave's yesterday.

I use their rib rub and steak seasoning. I also picked up some of their wing rub.

I smoked the ribs using apple wood and apple juice in the drip pan. I just used a disposable aluminum pan sitting on top of the plate setter.

I cooked the ribs for 3 hours at 250 degrees and then wrapped them in aluminum foil for 1 hour.

I also used a knockoff of their baked bean recipe:

Link:
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Those ribs are absolutely beautiful. I'm making some today, I hope they look as good as yours do. Great job!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    John...those are some great looking ribs...have you tried Todd's carnivore sauce?? love it!!!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Good looking ribs! I use Famous Daves sometimes as well. Pretty good stuff.
  • mfox2064---

For dome temp I started them out at 225 and kept it there for 3 hours (I have a DIgiQ II that helps with this). At each hour mark I sprayed the ribs with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. After 3 hours I bumped the temp up 250 on the digiQ. Sorry that I don't have more specific dome temp readings since they are actually different than where the temp is read on the grate. At 4.5 hours I bumped the temp up to 275 to finish them off. I recommend you look at Car Wash Mike's prep for ribs, it's the base of what I do (I don't foil or do the honey/apple juice thing yet). http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

I started getting the ribs ready about 9:45AM that day, I wasn't moving to fast with that either. On the ribs themselves I started with a coating of French's Yellow Mustard, then liberally applied the Famous Dave's Rib Rub all over the meat side and did brush some on the bone side. After that I patted down a bunch of brown sugar onto the ribs and then sprinkled more dry rub on top of that. Then I stacked 3 slabs together and wrapped in foil and put back in the fridge for a couple hours.

Around 12:30 I started the fire and put the ribs on at 1:48PM. I pulled the first three slabs off the egg a little before 7, the next batch about 25 minutes later. I think some of them took longer to cook since they were touching while in the rib rack. Once I laid them out flat (about 4.5 hours in) they seemed to cook a little quicker.

Hope this helps.
  • Mike -

The drip pan issue is a pain indeed. I've just settled on using a layer of tinfoil over the platesetter. I don't know what else to do because i feel if I put the platesetter a level lower then the fire suffers from air flow. The foil was so gunked up with char and drippings it nearly came above the grate. Works better than nothing. I'm not very handy (I work on a computer all day) so I haven't tried to come up with some ingenious way to upgrade myself.
  • Thanks smoketown for the recipe link. I'll have to try the Wilbur beans sometime. I've had them at Dave's and they're pretty good. I'd like to do the drip pan method like you mentioned but on the XL's there is no room for a pan like on the other Egg sizes.
  • Beli I've never tried Todd's Carnivore sauce, where can you get it? I suppose I should just google it!
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I use an old cookie sheet on the platesetter for a drip pan. I put some foil on the sheet so it's easy to clean up.
  • That's a good idea about an old cookie sheet. Thanks!