Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs temp question

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done ribs several times following the Backyard Championship Ribs recipe in the BGE cookbook. They have been outstanding! While I probably shouldn't mess with success I was thinking about cooking lower and slower to see if they could be even more tender.

The recipe calls for 1.5 hours at 325 indirect for the first stage (followed by an hour covered with apple juice and then directly on the grill to finish). If I did them at 250 dome for the first stage how long should they cook at that temp? 2.5 hours?

As always the Eggspert advice is appreciated.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    One of the methods used a lot around here and also by myself is the 3-1-1 method. 3 hours at 250 dome. 1 hour wrapped in foil with a little splash of apple juice at 250 dome ( I dont use any liquid). And then 1 hour back on grid at 250 dome with your sauce of choice. I've found that the more you want them to fall off the bone the longer you leave in the foil. One hour will be pretty darn tender. I've went 1.5 hour in foil before and had to darn near drink em with a straw :woohoo: Hope this helps.
  • skihorn
    Options
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    The BACKYARD Championship ribs was designed for those poor folks who don't have cookers that maintain temps at 275F. The BIG-TIME Championship ribs are for us EGGERS who can!

If you go to GOOGLE Books Ray's Big Time Barbecue Cookbook is on preview. There you will see a different set of cooking temps. Basically 275 for 2 hours, flip and cook another hour. Foil for 90 minutes. Bump the temp to 350, add sauce, and cook another 20 minutes flipping often. Preview the book on Google for more specifics!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Just my personal opinion. Low and slow is not 325 to start. I like to start out at 225 and gradually raise the temp. Your going to get a better smoke ring. Finish at 275. If you want fall off the bone or more tender. Foiling is the way to go. You can get fall off the bone without foiling, but foiling almost guarantees great results.

Mike
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    carwash mike wrote:
    Just my personal opinion. Low and slow is not 325 to start. I like to start out at 225 and gradually raise the temp. Your going to get a better smoke ring. Finish at 275. If you want fall off the bone or more tender. Foiling is the way to go. You can get fall off the bone without foiling, but foiling almost guarantees great results.

Mike

Mike, how long into the cook do you utilize the foil? And for how long?