Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foiling Brisket?

Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
From my earlier post you can tell I am cooking a small brisket for family and friends. It weighed just 6#. My neighbor just yelled over the fence that since it was small, I should cook it in foil for some amount of time to keep it moist. You have to know everyone in Texas thinks they can cook good brisket :-) Actually Clint my neighbor is really a good brisket cook. Has anyone tried this and if so, how long should I cook it in foil and at what point in the cook?
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• Mike -

I don't mean to add to your question, but I was just about to post the same thing. I started this 4 pounder about three hours ago and am debating to foil at 165 degrees. From what I have read through the search, some people foil dry and some people foil with broth. That made me think - what about foiling in beer????

Here are some starting pics. I read from someone's post (sorry I don't have the exact source) that bacon over the top helps with moisture.

RawandSeasoned.jpg

RawwithBacon.jpg

I seasoned it overnight with some Garlic Salt, Pepper and DP Raising the Steaks.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I foil mine when it reaches about 160 degrees internal (plateau). Then I leave it on the Egg for about an hour and open the foil and continue cooking until it reaches 195 internal. Then I close the foil back up, along with the juices it salvaged, wrap it in a towel and place in a cooler for an hour or two.

When you open it back up all those juices wil have been reabsorbed making the brisket very juicy.

Spring "Foil Is A Good Thing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Eager Egger
    Glad you posted. Maybe we will get some replies. I have cooked large (at least 10#) briskets in the past, but these smaller ones are a different challenge. The kids that are coming all live in the Austin Area (keep Austin weird) and this brisket is corn feed, no steroids and the butcher even has the shot records on the cow :-) Go figure.
    Mike
  • Eager Egger
    Thanks Chicken! Exactly what I was looking for. Hope your weather in Spring is as good as ours here in Round Rock.
  • So if I understand you correctly - you don't add anything in the foil?

Thanks for the help!
  • Mike -

I think this is my fourth brisket and I have only done small ones. The previous three were all edible, but only one really was moist and good. I haven't been brave enough to tackle a big one for company yet given my results. Hopefully this one turns about better!

That is funny about the cow by the way!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    what set up are you using and what dome temp?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Not to steal from Mike's question, but I have plate setter legs up, drip pan with one beer and 12 oz of water. I set the digi for a dome temp of 200 degrees, but it is has consistently been around 215. I am right at three hours in, and I just checked the meat temp and it is 148 degrees.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    If your probe is clipped to the dome thermometer and you are reading apx 200° at some point in time you are going to have to increase the pit temperature or you will never get the brisket much over 180°-190° if that high.

GG
  • GG -

Thanks for the advance - can you tell me when I should crank it up and how much? I was planning to bring the dome up to 250 at about the four hour mark?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    If I recall, Bubba Tim cooks brisket and ribs at lower temperatures, I don't recall the specifics.

Your brisket will not get to a higher temperature than your grate temperature. If the grate temperature is low enough, I would think there might be some confusion between too low a grate temperature and the meat hitting the plateau.

My thoughts would be when the meat hits the plateau (or meat stalls) then take the temperature higher to say 250° dome.

GG
  • We'll do - thanks again for the help. Currently at 151 degrees 3.5 hours into the cook
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Sure foil at 165 until 195. Good stuff.

Mike
  • Mike -

That sounds good. Hey - I think I need 14.5 points if we are going to get on October 3rd!

What do you say?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Mike,

If you guys want some fajitas tonight, I'm cooking some :)
  • Eager Egger
    Hi RRP. My gasket is still in perfect shape. It was the second generation where the silicone was applied separately. My set up is inverted plate setter, drip pan with the grill on it. Good to hear from you.
  • Eager Egger
    Thanks Mike, I think we have enough for tonight though. Everyone is bringing something. Linda and I want to have you guys over for ribs some day when it is convenient.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Dave,
    I will give you 6. We have no QB. Stupid Tampa Bay. It is a long ways away, but I might be competeing at The Royal that day.

Mike
  • mdevers
    mdevers Posts: 20
    pls explain the meat plateau. never heard of that. thx, Mike
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    When you are cooking briskets or butts using the low and slow method the cooking process will reach a point where it starts to break down the connective tissue and collegen. This could take up to a few hours depending on the size of your meat and other variables. During this time you meat's internal temperature will remain in this plateau (usually around 160 degrees) and may even drop a few degrees. Then it will start to climb again toward your desired temperature goal.

Those who like to wrap their meat in foil will use this period for that purpose, sometimes for only one or two hours and then continue on without the foil. I keep the foil on for about an hour and then open it but do not remove it and continue cooking. This method works well for me but is not the traditional method preferred by many.

I have just been advised by my remote thermometer that I have two butts that are starting to climb once again after being in the plateau for the past five hours. I'm betting those two butts will be ready to pull off the Egg in about two hours. There are two more on there that will take a bit longer.

Hope this helps.

Spring "Kicking Butts" Chicken