Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making brisket - fire went out

hockeynut
hockeynut Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started at 9:45pm last night and got it to a steady 250 degrees. At midnight I went to sleep, got up at 6am and now it says 100 degrees.

No idea when they went out.

I'm restarting the coals and hoping for the best.

Is the meat ruined?

Comments

• hockeynut
    Put meat thermometer in and it says 105 degrees.
  • hockeynut
    Dome temp after restart is a hair under 300 now, and the meat is at 122.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I'm one of the more liberal people on here when it comes to the "safe to eat" debate.

That being said, this one is really on the fence for me. I would probably eat it myself, would be reluctant to let my kids eat any, and would certainly not serve it to guests.

If you are expecting company for dinner I would recommend going and picking up a few nice racks of ribs as a substitute and chalk this one up to a learning experience.
  • hockeynut
    Thanks - no company for this one, just my family.

I guess I will let it finish up and maybe try it myself but that's about it.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    This might help in the future

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=234

I have using mine for 2 years they work great

Ross
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    The fire went out on my first overnighter too. I was not using a guru, stoker, cyberQ, etc. I think the lump went out due to lack of air flow, with the vents being closed down so much. I stacked my lump using the large-med-small method, and placed each piece by hand. I guess I packed them too tightly, like a puzzle, because I wanted to ensure I would have enough lump for the planned 20hr cook. Do folks usually not stack the lump so tightly to insure there will be adequate air flow through the lump? Obviously it's important to make sure the holes in the ceramic and grate are not occluded with ash and old small pieces of lump.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    A guru, stoker or cyperq make things a lot easier however, not fool proof.

I have had a fire go out using the DigiQII. I chalk the fire going out due to a vertical burn.

I have also had many successful overnight cooks without a powered vent system.

I purchased a Maverick ET-73 which I use with the q2 so an alarm goes off and wakes me up if the egg gets too hot or too cold. If I use the stoker, I use the computer interface and have the same protection.

Folks that do not have a powered vent system should at least get a $40 Maverick ET-73.

For me, the fire going out hasn't been so much loosing a hunk of meat. It is more the disappointment of having to substitute something different from what I wanted to serve the next day.

I do love having the DigiQII and Stoker, they are most convenient.

GG