Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloins

Options
MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pork.jpg
<p />I marinated these baby's in rosemary, garlic and olive oil for a couple of days. Used Nature Boy's method of freezing for a couple of hours and smoking at 200 for 20 minutes over cherry. then I used Tim M's method of 350 for 45 minutes till 165 internal. Just proves that you don't have to be bright to be a good cook, just follow good directions. Thanks to all.

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    MAC,
    Good recipe, good meat, good instructions! Yeah! Ya gota have 'em all! But, IMHO ya gota be able to make everything work! Nice, very nice job Mac![p]Dr. Chicken

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MAC,[p]Pork tenderloins are one of my favorites. I am still thinking of doing them at Eggfest2000. They look tasty!![p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MAC,
    You are welcome, but the freeze smoke technique I believe came from Cat?? Man, I think it was Cat, but it is hard to remember where all the great tips come from! I cannot take credit though, but am happy to pass along what I have learned here! Looks like you just might be having some tasty sammiches for lunch!![p]I gave away half of my pork butt the other day to my neighbor, and realized later that my half had the bone, and I didn't end up with enough for any leftovers. Dang.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    I did a pork tenderloin last night. Over apple wood. It came out a little dry, but I have myself to blame on that one. Despite all the admonitions to take it off at 165, I left it on until the thermometer shrieked which was at 175. Still VERY tasty, but a little bit dry.[p]Am looking for a good sauce to put on one of these. I did a modified fruit stuffed idea (split it in half horizontally and filled it with dried mixed fruit). Need something kind of fruit-based to dip it in. I could tell it wanted to be dipped. I get like that myself. Anyone have any good ideas?
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]There's really no need to cook pork to 165. Trichinae die at 138 - and reports of trichinosis have become very rare in this country. Modern pork is so lean it dries out very easily. [p]Next time try taking pork off the fire at 145-150 and let it rest a bit before slicing. It will be slightly pink at the center & delicious. You may not even want a sauce. ;-}[p]Cathy

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I have used Hunter's Sauce and also Green Peppercorn Sauce (both are available as dry sauce mixes in the grocery) with excellent results with both on pork tenderloins from the Egg.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Cat,
    I agree. I know we have had some discussions (mildly heated) about cooking pork in the past, and many people still insist on 160. I have been pulling them off at 150 internal, and cannot imagine it any other way. The days of cooking pork to chalk white are over in my book. [p]Like you, I prefer the slightly pink and juicy version, and believe the risk of getting ill is very, very small.[p]FWIW
    Nature Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • MAC
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Felt the same way last night so I found some apricot mustard to use as a dippingf sauce. It was great.I think something sweeter would work well also. Like a chutney.[p]MAC

• MAC
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Thanks to all. It was a team effort. I think I will take them off at 145 to 15o, per Cat, next time. And I also will use a sweet sauce. The cherry wood was delightful.[p]MAC

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Cat,
    I think you've got it exactly. I wish I could reset the Polder to reflect that opinion! Will have to use the "other" setting. My basset ate a half pound of raw, moldy bacon not long ago with no ill effects, so I'm sure I'm over-reacting! thanks.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    MollyShark,[p] I recently had a friend come over and bring a pork tenderloin to cook. Had to come up with something at the spur if the moment so I made a stuffing with some chopped apple, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, and a few spices; butterflied and pounded the tenderloin until it was flat, then rolled it up. Cooked it and added a sauce. Can't tell you exactly 'cause I didn't keep notes, but I made this "sauce" and it went something like: Chop a few cloves of garlic, half a granny smith apple and a small amount of sweet onion (maybe 2 tbsp?) and saute in butter until soft. Add some ground nutmeg, cardamom (green, not black), cinnamon and ginger. Pour about 1/2 cup (or more) dark rum in along with about 1/2 cup water. Then add about 1/2 cup chopped dried bing cherries and a couple tablespoons brown sugar. Simmer until it has the consistency you want and pour over the sliced pork. Be sure to cook the sauce until the cherries are rehydrated -- you may need to add a bit more water along the way. The sauce was good, despite the fact that I put in a bit too much cardamom (go sparingly with that stuff!) Sorry I can't be more specific but I was shooting from the hip when I did it.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    MikeO,
    I have the black cardamom. I have not yet used the spice, and other than the fact it is used in some curries, I know little or nothing about it. The pods have a very nice smoky smell.[p]Maybe you can help me figure out how to use the stuff when you have time.[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com