Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

too windy for low & slow cook?

deltadawn
deltadawn Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is a very windy day here in Oshkosh. We planned on doing a low & slow cook for pork butt with our new cyber Q. Are we going to have trouble keeping a steay temp because the wind? Any suggestions? Thanks......

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    deltadawn,

You will be fine. If you have a 10 cfm fan, choke it down a little more than usual. If you don't loosely tent the blower with foil, leaving some open area at he bottom.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• deltadawn
    We have a 4 cfm fan, would we still need to tent the fan? Thanks....
  • Little Steven
    I would, the only thing to be concerned about is the wind forcing the air through the blower when it isn't called for. If the egg is in a sheltered area you may not need to but it is only going to cost a piece of foil. You may want to close the daisy a litle more than usual too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    When I posted this question a while back the answers were pretty much unanimous that if you have the bottom vent facing away from the wind (or even 90 degrees) it will have no effect. If your Egg is installed and can't be turned away from the wind then you might have some issues.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • deltadawn
    Thank you to everyone for your assistance. We do have the ability to reposition the egg somewhat against the wind, and will try the foil, too. We will let you know how it goes. It is only our 2nd time using the cyber Q. We will let you know how it goes. Thanks, delta
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Holy crap!!! A one word post from stike..hahaha :woohoo:
  • stike
    wind won't push any air in. it might suck more out, which could draw more in, but i have cooked in blizzards, without wires and fans, and there's virtually no issue.

when in the architecture biz, we used to calculate R values for wall assemblies. there is a minor allowance for the air layer around your house. even in a breeze, there is a static layer of air against your house. it's as if the wind doesn't move it, but passes over it. it has better things to do than force itself in. of course, if you have a crack in the wall, the wind can suck air out of your house. but in general, wind won't go "in" in the direction it is moving. it will draw air out. ...of course the air coming out needs to come in from somewhere, and that'd be other cracks elsewhere. but that wind comes in under negative pressure. sucked in, not forced in. just saying... wind trying to go in is like pushing rope through a key hole. hmmm. where have i heard that analogy before?
  • Little Steven
    stike,

I ain't no genius but my comment holds true. If you think about the construction of blower, you have an impeller and an orifice. First, the orifice is larger than what you would normally allow without the blower. The fan is a squirrel cage inserted into an oblique. When you turn the squirrel cage you compress the air in the oblique and through the orifice at greater pressure. The fan apature is larger than the discharge orfice and if wind blows directy on it you increase the pressure. You are no longer drawing air but forcing it. By blocking the intake apature from the wind you prevent the intake pressure from building. It's kinda like taking your little rope and stiffening it up til it is rigid and putting more push behind it B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    i dunno about them wired things. i can cook on my egg without needing one. even in a blizzard.
    heh heh ;)
  • Little Steven
    I hardly ever use it but the first time I did was in a strong wind and I carbuerised a brisket.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON