Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First TRex Steak Attempt

Rich G
Rich G Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
RibEyeDone071203.jpg
[p][p]Made my first attempt at the TRex method today.....it was as good as it looks. More info on the cook in the link below....[p]Thanks, TRex![p]Rich G.[p]PS: Sear was done with dome open.
[ul][li]Rib Eye Cook[/ul]

Comments

• Rich G
    Ok, ok, I know, it's a bad sign when you respond to your own posts (but it's late here on the West Coast, and it appears that most that frequent the BGE Forum are snoozing....)[p]Anyway, had an addendum to my cook tonight. After eating, and digesting a little, I have lit up a nice La Gloria Cubana cigar (Maduro wrapper), poured my fifth glass of the cab (been a while since I killed a bottle solo), and am sitting outside enjoying a wonderful California evening. Given the current set of circumstances, it doesn't get too much better than this.[p]Hope y'all have a great weekend![p]Rich G.
  • Rich G, my first attempt last night didn't turn out as well as your's. I had 2" thick top sirloin (the best I could find)weighing 1lb and followed the Trex method. From start to finish took 1hr and 50 min, due to the 20min time out period. They looked almost as prtty as your pic, but they were chewey and on the tough side. I used an internal thermometer and let them reach 148 deg, is that too high? I read that for rare beef, cook to 160, is that wrong? Saucy Elbows[p]
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Saucy Elbows,[p]Yes...yes...yessss......!!! Those Govt. temperature recomendations are for "Shoe Leather"!![p]Most good Steakhouses...(and the Chubbster as well)...will pull beef @ 125 or so for rare (130-140 for Medium)....then let rest for 5-10 minutes or so!![p]Eat heavy....Dress cool!![p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Saucy Elbows, a 2" sirloin is a big piece of meat, but, with all due respect, not the greatest cut you'll find. Personally, I'd never go above 1.25", max, with sirloin. That might have been at least part of the problem, and it sounds like you overcooked it a little bit. Do not despair....get back up on the horse and fire up something else next weekend. Keep us posted.

• Rich G
    Hey, Saucy.[p]Sorry, I missed this during a quick run through the forum yesterday. I agree with the responses you got below....I think you took your steak to too high of a temp. Honestly, I've never measured the internal temp on a steak. I always use my dad's rule of thumb, "...five minutes per side per inch of thickness for rare/med rare." I adjust this to six mins per side with a HOT fire, and it does just fine for me.[p]HTH,
    Rich G.