Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Beanie-Bean - Re: Filipino BBQ

Options
Austin Smoker
Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Mike,

Where do you get this Sita's BBQ marinade you refer to in your new recipe...BTW everyone, these were AMAZING!!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sorry to jump in , however I get mama sita sauces in many oriental grocery stores. Great stuff.

http://www.msita.com/mixes.htm

Monkey, Meat, Philippine Street Vendor Style "Monkey Meat"

I was stationed at Subic Bay from 1983-86, and luckily was able to gather a little info on Philippino cooking. The marinade you're looking for is 7-Up, believe it or not. Usually the meat is pork sliced thinly, "woven" onto a wooden skewer and marinated overnight in 7-Up, garlic, soy sauce or what ever other spice suits your taste. I personally like to add a little cayenne pepper to give a little "hot" to the meat. You can use monkey if you like, but it's a darker meat and you need to marinate longer to get rid of the wild taste. Barbequed monitor lizard or fruit bat wasn't too bad either. ****** Norm Corley, Athens, Greece**** It was my mother-in-law who happened to be visiting at the time. After telling me all about it, she got in the mood to do some. She used 7-up, garlic, soy, vinegar (and possibly some sliced onion--I don't remember). She put it on skewers and I grilled it. Good stuff. Jus tmake sure your grill is hot enough to brown them quickly, and get them off before they dry out.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Side Dish, Snack

Recipe Source
    Source: Phillipines, 2005/12/23

BGE Forum, Michael B, 2007/12/26

A friend at work says is wife, who is from Baguio, uses 7Up, coconut and palm vinegars, soy sauce, kalamansi ( Calamondin ) when she can get it or lemons when she can't, and garlic.

BGE Forum, 2008/03/02---Filipino BBQ Beanie-Bean Actually, it's pork country cut ribs sliced very thinly. The secret marinade sauce we use on it is Mama Sita's barbecue marinade, some crushed garlic, and some beer. Oh yeah, be sure to soak your bamboo skewers in water a bit before you put the meat on so that they don't turn into smoking wood on the BGE. Cook temp was 350 deg before I put the foil shield in just under where the thermo is located. Kinda have to do it by time/feel for this one--lots of rotating of the skewers to prevent the meat from turning into charcoal.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    No apologies needed Richard...cool insights. Monkey meat...really? I think I'll stick with the Country Rib meat. ;)

I'll look for Mama Sita's at my favorite Asian gorcer.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Brad,

The Mama Sita's BBQ marinade can be found at MT Supermarket on Lamar, just off Braker.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Glad that you found the post! I haven't tried the search engine lately, so thanks for the assist! Dorothy actually marinated the pork, so I didn't know what she did until I got back from the Eggfest. I'd been telling people the recipe listed in your clip--soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper, garlic, and 7Up.

Guess Mama Sita has managed to bottle all of the goodness up and sell it :) In the recipe I posted on the right-had side, I listed the correct ingredients, but no measurements or proportions. I'll do that when I do the next batch.

Cheers, man!
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Now we just need a source for fresh monkey meat. During the '60's rumor had it that there were not a lot of dogs on the streets of Subic Bay. Go figure.hehe!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    A friend brought over some Monkey Meat he had done on his grill and it was delicious. I will have to get his recipe. It was an overnight marinade with several ingredients. If it was that good of his nice gasser I can imagine how good it would be on the Egg. :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Perhaps we need some bread to go with it!

Bread, Monkey, Labdad

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Cans Refrigerated biscuits
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 Sticks Butter
    1/2 cup white sugar
    2 Tbs cinnamon
    1/2 cup raisins
    Icing:
    1/2 lb cream cheese
    1/2 lb butter
    1 lb powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp lemon juice

Procedure:
    1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-10 inch tube pan.
    2 Mix white sugar and cinnamon in a medium sized plastic bag. Cut the biscuits into halves or quarters and place six to eight biscuit pieces in the sugar cinnamon mix. Shake well.
    3 Arrange pieces in the bottom of the greased pan. Continue layering until all the biscuit pieces are coated and in the pan. If you are using raisins, place them among the biscuit pieces as you are layering.
    4 In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar over medium heat. Pour over the layered biscuits.
    5 Bake for 35 minutes indirectly on the BGE. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. Pull apart and enjoy!
    Icing:
    Directions:
    1 Allow cream cheese and butter to get to room temperature.
    2 Beat butter and cream cheese together in a large bowl with a mixer.
    3 Slowly add in the pound of powdered sugar.
    4 After all the powdered sugar is added mix for 12 minutes (do not mix less than that).
    5 When almost done, add in the extract and lemon juice.

Recipe Type
    Bread

Recipe Source
    Author: Don Byrd (labdad) & Lisa Hill (poodlemom)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '08, Labdad
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    And then to wash it down.

Monkey Gland Cocktail

INGREDIENTS:
    2 oz gin
    2 oz orange juice
    1 tsp Bénédictine
    1 tsp grenadine

Procedure:
    1 Using a shaker filled with ice, combine all ingredients.
    2 Shake well.
    3 Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Cocktail

Recipe Source

Source: Manitoba's Liquor Marts