Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lazzari mesquite lump charcoal

Options
McEggin
McEggin Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I run out of Royal Oak and run to the my local grocery store. I live about 40 minutes from Wally World and didn't feel like making the trip. I've seen this brand of lump on the shelves during past visits called Lazzari. I figure lump is lump and pick up a bag. Let me tell you, I'm saving the rest of this stuff for the next July 4th celebration. The sparks that flew when I took my propane weed burner to it was nothing short of amazing. Beware if you've never used this stuff. Hat, sleeves, shoes and gloves required.

Comments

• Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    I will definitely make sure to avoid this stuff! I didn't even know that you could purchase lump charcoal from walmart, i thought all they had was briquettes
  • McEggin
    McEggin Posts: 20
    Options
    The Wal-Mart I frequent has Royal Oak, which is what I normally use. I'm definitely making the trip tomorrow.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I think you will find that it doesn't spark that much when you actually get it to cooking temperatures. Its behavior when using a torch to light is only relevant to, well, when you are using a torch to light it. The last mesquite-like charcoal I reviewed (Ono from Hawaii) did spark quite a bit when using it how you would to sear steaks, but that sparking subsided after a short while. Lots of folks use mesquite lump and are happy with it. Lazarri in particular has been rated 3.99/5.00 so far by readers, so it has turned out to be a relatively popular charcoal.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    If you want to avoid sparks with a MAPP tourch, look into the Golf Club from BBQ Guru. I love it! It spreads out the flame and you shove the head down into the lump and can walk away why getting smoking wood, etc, etc.
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    i have a few shirts with burnt holes in them from sparks using mapp. 2 months ago i started using 91% alcohol with cotton balls that some one mentioned. i have a small 10 0z. pickle relish jar with lid my wife washed out that i use. put 3 cotton balls in jar then add alcohol, shake up then put in charcoal and light. no sparks. any alcohol left in jar just put lid on and use next time you cook