Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shredded Beef - Which Cut & How

EggZona
EggZona Posts: 108
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In my 11 months with my eggs, I have done lots of chickens, ribs, steaks, pork and more. I have not tackled any beef for shredding and really don't know where to start. Looking for some help.

Which Cut and cooking temp and time.

Thanks

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Sam- This is one of those, there are 100 ways to do it, requests. You may get 99 more replies after this, each one a bit different. For me, if I am going to shred beef, I sear in, then cook in, a cast iron dutch oven, braised. (in liquids, usually a combo of stock and wine).
    Preheat cast iron DO, a bit of olive oil, to smoking.. add seasoned beef....really sear both sides (dark! but not black!)...remove, and set aside. Add diced onion and garlic and a dry, drinkable red wine. Allow wine to reduce by half. Add a carton of beef stock, and replace the beef. Allow to simmer on egg, covered, 1 hour or so until tender. (don't forget to check liquid levels once in a while)
    Pull when fork tender. Pull. (save the juices and make a jus or gravy) ;)
    OH...I would use a Chuck Roast, or California Pot Roast, depending on what your market offers. (They are essentially the same cut....) Definately go with chuck...you want the fat. :whistle: fat=flavor (and moisture)
    Hope it works for you!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Sorry....temp 300-325 dome. It may take up to 3 hours depending on the cut to tenderize. This should not be planned as a one hour cook. My previous post was incomplte.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Sam, do a search on ClayQ's pulled beef, it is incredible. -RP
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Sam, ClayQ's pulled beef is great and has a good guide for cooking step by step. easy as can be. It is a very forgiving cook and you can not mess it up :) Julie
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I just posted some pictures of pulled beef that I cooked last night for dinner. I used Clay's recipe that is in the cookbook section of this forum. I made a few changes. I used Chuck Roasts (the flat kind which are about 3-4 inches thick. Came out great.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    another vote for clayq's i do not use the maple syrup..
    i egg direct with smoke start 350ish for a bit of sear and drop down to 250 when it seems like it is tender a bit i transfer to dutch oven and keep adding stock and wine till pulls apart easy with a fork. easy cook that does not require much attention chechk for liquid every so often.. i start this at noon 5 hours is about average for me ..
    i use choice chuck and there has been too much fat so
    toward the end when adding stock i add enough to cover the meat remove from egg and skim the fat and back on the egg to reduce the remaining stock.. this cook also can take a fair amount of smoke... have fun
    bill
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Start with some good chuck roasts! :woohoo:
    BGEClaysBBQBeef0002.jpg
    I got 11 pounds here with these three but two roasts work just fine. With 10 pounds or more you can bump the temp up to 300 in 'stage two' getting all that meat to target temp.
    The recipe is also at www.dizzypigbbq.com with pictures ... click on customer recipes.
    IMG_4363.jpg
    BGEClaysBBQBeef0017.jpg
    BGEClaysBBQBeef0016.jpg
    BGEClaysBBQBeef0025.jpg
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Here's another "how-to". We have the butcher cut a 5-6 lb chuck roast (bone-in). Remember the chuck is the cow version of pork butt. Coat the roast with a cow-friendly rub (e.g. DP's cowlick) and cook just like a pork butt at 235 dome until internal temp is 195-200 (usually takes 1 1/2 hours per pound). Foil for an hour and then pull just like a pork butt. Mix with some Western Carolina bbq sauce and serve: outstanding!
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Thanks to everyone that replied. Seems that the beef doesn't get much forum time. Clay Q thanks for the receipe and the detailed instructions.

What I did- I got a late start on Saturday. Ended up picking up a extra large 7 bone chuck as it was on sale for 1.47. Since I was running late, I upped the temperature and cooked shortend the cook to about 4 hours. Then to stage 2 for 2 hours until 210. Shredded it (difficult) sauced and served. Although I rushed the cook, it was awsome! Family loved it.

Next day, took the balance of the meat and added jalapenos, green chili's, spices etc and simmered for 2 hours or so. Served as Green Chili burritos. Again Awesome!

Learned alot and can't wait to slow down and do it right!
  • A few times a year I make a big batch of burritos and freeze them. I use the same technique that LC describes, except I use only beef stock, (no wine) and I load it up with lots of chili powder (homemade, of course). Once the beef starts to fall apart, I remove it from the pot and let it cool a bit, then pull. Meanwhile, I reduce the liquid in the pot down to a sludge and then add the pulled beef back in.

Oh man, I've been out of burritos for a while...now I'm craving. But the freezer is full!