Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP: Thermometer Angle

Options
Bootleg
Bootleg Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello fellow fanatics!

I just bought a used Medium egg that is in GREAT shape. But instead of the thermometer sitting flush against the egg it was drilled straight down and therefore you have to look almost straight down to read it. Has anybody ever re-drilled the hole to seat the thermometer correctly or is it best just to leave it alone? Thanks!

Bootleg
Evans, GA

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    On someone else's Egg = drill a new hole :ohmy:
    On my own Egg = LEAVE IT ALONE :)
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    You do run a risk of cracking the dome by drilling. Personally I would live with it. Someone a while back posted directions for doing what you ask. I don't remember who it was. I believe the key was a certain type bit, drill slow, and keep the bit wet. Anyone remember this?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    a few years back some worker in Mexico drilled several wrong like that. I've cooked on a large BGE that my dealer retained to cook on at his store and honestly it gives an inferior dome temp reading! I recall buyers corrected the problem by redrilling using a ceramic drill bit. Just be sure to support the inside of the dome so it doesn't chip off when it breaks through. Personally if I were you I'd redrill it in a heartbeat!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I have one of those myself, I decided after a little testing that I would leave it be. I checked the temp by dropping a probe threw the daisy and it was within 10f of the dome gauge. I can live with that but it's up too you. Here is a photo of mine.
    032509014.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If you do decide to redrill it use a bit that is made for tile (at most big box stores) and use duct tape on the inside. Does not guarantee it wont chip but does help.
  • I would duct tape on the outside and inside to prevent chipping, then drill slowly with a masonry drill bit. Also stop frequently to cool the bit by dipping it in water. Good luck.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I tried that drilling bathroom tile with a diamond bit but the glue on the tape kept gumming up the bit.
  • my mistake, I meant painter's masking tape. also, I think it'll be even safer if a small piece of wood is held against the back when the drill bit is about to emerge.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn’t re-drill….I would live with it.
    At a straight down angle, it won’t get in the way of anything! Even though it may be off temp. a bit.
    If you do re-drill: Be sure to drill VERY slowly, tape on the inside may help with chipping, but I’m I really don’t think it will have much effect on the outside.
    The KEY here is to go VERY, VERY slow!
  • Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    I had the same problem with our large.
    I decided to change the angle. I used my Dremel with a high speed round burr with the same circumference as the hole that was already there. The high speed burr would not cut through at any speed so luckily I had a carbide round burr with course cut flutes and tried that, it cut through the eggs ceramic like butter.
    I also used the same thermometer hole and just went in at a little different angle so I didn't have to start a new hole.
    Now I can see the temp from the house where before I couldn't.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you need to crush the glaze with the tip first and then drill away. tape will only let you think it won't slip, but it'll still slip. and it won't help chipping, other than it'll hold on to whatever piece chips off anyway.

i drilled out the lower vent of my small with a half inch carbide bit. with the drill off just pushed it against the glaze to crush it. then drilled like a mental patient at full speed. no problems.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante