Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dumb Platesetter Question2

johann
johann Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg, and a plate-setter that I believe goes with it. I usually set it up for indirect, or low and slow(feet up, grate on top) but one time I flipped it to burn some grease off it, after a long cook. Well, when the egg came up to 600 degrees or so my grease was burnt off, but it also seemed like the flames nipped around the edges of the platesetter and melted my gasket.

Did I do something wrong with the platesetter? I though a pizza would sit on top of a baking stone on top of the plate setter at that temp(600 or so) and be ok.

thanks!

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    For pizza,I prefer to use the platesetter(legs-up)then the grid,then the stone on top of the grid.Many will disagree with me,but I don't care :P At least I'm not blowin fire at the gasket :ohmy: :lol:;)
  • Some here may feel differently but I try to use the plate setter on my large legs up to avoid that very thing especially at high temps. Now you can get a Nomex or a Rutland gasket. They hold up much better. BGE sells the Nomex which is what I have on my large. So Far so good 6 cooks with the plate setter and counting. Yesterday I had a oops. I got sidetracked after lighting my Egg and got it up to 700 degrees with the plate setter and the Nomex stood strong. You are not the first to do this and you won't be the last. Don't let it stop you from egging though, keep on cooking till you get a new gasket.
  • johann
    Oh no worries, took me weeks to order the gasket, then weeks more to scrape the egg, then found out about the nomex gasket, so got that one, and then ebayed the grey gasket. I finally have the nomex sitting in front of me, have the 3m spray, and well, have a new lid on teh egg with the grey gasket due to a paint issue.

I just don't feel like scraping the lid of a brand new gasket so I'll prolly leave that there till it expires and may eventually put the nomex on the bottom as that's ready to go, scraped.

It was tricky doing a brisket with no gasket haha!

I will try the legs up platesetter trick that sounds good until everything is up and running. Although wife is GF so I'm just trying to plan out a guy movie night to test out with pizza.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    johann wrote:
    ... but it also seemed like the flames nipped around the edges of the platesetter and melted my gasket...
    That's exactly what happened to the gasket on our Small Egg the first time I made pizza. You could clearly see that the gasket was burned everywhere but the three short sections shielded by the legs of the platesetter. Now I use a pot lid as a heat deflector on the GrateMates ring (below the gasket) and put the 12" pizza stone on the tall GrateMates (above the gasket). I haven't cooked pizza on our Large Egg yet but when I do I'll use a similar setup with the Spider and Adjustable Rig. (I don't even have a platesetter for the Large.)
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I have read the other replies and would like to add that if you had grease on the bottom of the plate setter that may have caused the flames to creep up to the top and hit your gasket.

I try to always be sure to use foil or a drip pan, my plate setter is black but "most" of the time has no grease/fat on it. Not sure if that is of any help but just a thought.

Happy Easter,
    Bordello
  • One thing I love about the Egg is, there is not just one way to do something. There are several configurations to prevent gasket failure.
  • DoveHunt
    DoveHunt Posts: 14
    Love my egg, but these things are expensive. If Green Egg knows there is an issue why do they not address it. My X Large gasket failed in the first couple cooks and they sent me another felt gasket. Plan to cook a few pizza's soon and hope I don't have another problem. The fact they sell a Nomex, means they know about it.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Oh great,the secret is out :whistle: What do we do now? :ohmy:
  • johann
    Panhandle Smoker wrote:
    Now you can get a Nomex or a Rutland gasket. They hold up much better.

Are the white one's really nomex? Fred at Fred's music and bbq had a video about putting the new nomex on his grill and said that he brought the white replacement to the firehouse that was next to his building and the fire fighters said that the white gasket was _not_ nomex.

I ordered my small specifically with the white gasket and it came with the grey/felt gasket and the adhesive has already failed in spots, after zero cooks.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Nomex is a brand name, developed by Dupont. I'm not 100% certain, but I feel that the gaskets we are calling nomex are not real Nomex, if you get my drift. If they were really Nomex I'm sure Dupont would have some type of logo or TM on the gasket itself. The new white gaskets are made of a nomex type material thet holds up well to high temps. Are they really Nomex, I doubt it. Can you ruin one with high heat, absolutely.

The preceding is only my opinion. But it sure does sound good, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express Thursday night.
  • johann
    Ahh brand dilution:
    kleenex vs facial tissue?
    search vs google?

Still wish my small would have come with the nomex.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Ther's no such thing as a dub platesetter question :laugh:
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Talk about dumb :whistle: