Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pre-cooked ham help

Wilby
Wilby Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first pre-cooked ham. It is about 14 lbs. How long per pound and what temp do I pull it?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    At 250 indirect it will take about 15 to 20 minutes per pound to reach 143 internal. Then remove and let it rest 20 minutes before cutting. HTH
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Wilby wrote:
    I am doing my first pre-cooked ham. It is about 14 lbs. How long per pound and what temp do I pull it?

Good question - I'm doing one today too.

About the same size ham. I'm guessing about 4-5 hours(?), but I'm going to stick a thermometer in it and just smoke it until it hits (as a fellow egger suggested) around 150.

I'm using apple wood (soaking comfortably at this very moment), and I'm going to give the lil piggie (or, what's left of him) a rub of dry mustard, brown sugar and pepper.

Cheers!
  • RRP
    sorry to disagree, but 150 with a ham that was already precooked anyway is going to be dry! I like mine moist!
  • OttawaEgg
    RRP wrote:
    sorry to disagree, but 150 with a ham that was already precooked anyway is going to be dry! I like mine moist!

:woohoo: YOIKS !

ummm... 140??? I don't want it dry either !

I'm putting the lil sow on in about 2 hours - hoping that 4-5 hours will get it there.
  • RRP is right. Pull that ham at 140 and let it rest for a bit. It'll be perfect. I don't think I've had a jucier ham than one from the egg.

Right now I'm doing "Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham". It was a hit last year, so I'm hoping it goes over big again this year.
  • OttawaEgg
    Thanks...

Well, the lil piggy is about 19+ pounds.

15 mins/pound should be around 5 hours.

So I'll just stick a thermometer up its arse, and watch it.

Two questions though - having to do with the amount of wood chips to use. I have about 3 cups of apple soaking. Will I need to replenish halfway through or is that enough? Recommendations? :silly:

ALSO - I have one of those electronic therms. - you know the kind, with the lil wire running to the device. Is it ok to use those? Will it affect the seal?

Probably dumb questions I know - but hey, I AM a newbie :blush:
  • RRP
    apple is good for pork though cherry is also. 3 cups is a lot IMHO and could turn the taste bitter plus there's no need to soak them. If you spread the chips around then as the fire works itself around they will catch. As for the wire probe cable that's no problem and your gasket will seal around it. You'll get some smoke leakage but don't worry about it.
  • OttawaEgg
    RRP wrote:
    apple is good for pork though cherry is also. 3 cups is a lot IMHO and could turn the taste bitter plus there's no need to soak them. If you spread the chips around then as the fire works itself around they will catch. As for the wire probe cable that's no problem and your gasket will seal around it. You'll get some smoke leakage but don't worry about it.

Ok, well they'll only have soaked for about an hour so I hope that's ok - and I'll cut it down to about 2 cups?

Thanks...

All I need to do now is figure out what to drink. I was going to go with bloody caesars, but I'm almost out of clamato (and everything's closed today). Perhaps a manhattan or 3 ?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    OttawaEgg

The Canuck got the name right. :kiss:

OE It doesn't hurt to soak chips, just not neccessary
    BTW Mac's and Beckers are open...I ran out of lump this morning.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OttawaEgg
    Well.. its time to fire up the egg.

I do some pics as the blessed event progresses.

PS: Wifie just chimed in - manhattans it is. :woohoo:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Mary's gonna be pissed for stealing her drink :angry: :laugh:
  • OttawaEgg
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    Mary's gonna be pissed for stealing her drink :angry: :laugh:

Well, send her up here! :laugh: we have lots!

Oh, and bring some warm weather - its about 3C (34F) here right now.

Manhattans are a great warm-up dwink :evil: