Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg distance to my house???

northandsouth
northandsouth Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a custom built stand for my large egg. I have built a huge porch on the back of my house and am considering a new location for the egg...
We have vinyl shake siding, do any of you folks cook against the house. What is the safe distance to place my egg from the siding? My stand/nest is built from treated lumber, I have the egg on a concrete paver on the stand, the stand will be on a cement pad... what is the recommended distance from the siding? I don't want to melt the siding.
Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    As long as you are not touching the siding, a few inches away should be ok. The external temperature of the BGE should not cause any problems with an inch or more air space.
  • I hear that firemen call vinyl siding "plastic gasoline." My main concern is if the part that overhangs (the soffit or fascia?) which will be over the egg is too close. Even if you dont plan to cook at high temps the egg can, and sometimes does, get away from us.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I agree...If your doin pizza at 1000 then maybe slider back a bit. Eggs just don't leak heat like the big steel gassers and the like.
  • OK, I am like you guys, I cannot see the heat affecting anything?
    Wonder if you had a pork shoulder on the egg, had her at 300 and made a trip to the hardware store. A ding dong walked by and took a look at the tastey smelling oink oink. Lets pretend they left the daisey off- she got lots of air, what could the egg get too temp wise??
    Could the egg over heat? What happens when the egg gets away from us??????
  • You can have flames shooting out the vent hole in the dome. At night it is beautiful (if it is planned, and your table is rolled out from under the patio).
  • I’m thinking that I would treat the Egg like a free standing wood stove when it comes to tolerable distances to combustible surfaces! I’ll give you that under normal cooks, it wouldn’t get as hot, but close to vinyl siding…I would error on the side of TOO much distance, more so than less.
    And, sorry if this opens an additional can of worms…But treated wood for the table??!!??
    I worked in the treated wood industry for a while, actually mixing the “juice”! BTW, I sure hope that doesn’t come back to haunt me some day :unsure: !!!
    CCA, CAC…what ever…Is a mix of copper carbonate, arsenic acid and chromium carbonate (maybe it was chromic acid), if memory serves. But…No matter, they are all REALLY bad stuff.
    I sure as hell wouldn’t want any of that crap anywhere close to a prep area or having anything I’m eating ever touching it :sick: !
  • You have received some dangerous recommendations here. Ask your insurance agent or the local Fire Department instead of a forum of self proclaimed experts.
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    I found that I had to space my egg away from the house more because of the lid opening more than the heat. Other posters have voiced the more important concern of heat from the chimney. There are posts about house fires with pictures. Give your self good standoff all the way around your grill. And if you ask the insurance company about the trampoline they will cancel your coverage!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    check with the fire department, around here its no grills on decks and either 6 or 10 feet from the house. i had a potential fire situation on the deck a few years ago. eggs not on the deck anymore.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it