Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coon, it\'s what\'s for supper

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Read an article on another forum about coons a while back. Guy in KC sells them on the same street corner once a week and cleaned and ready. Usually sells out first thing in the morning I guess. Sounds like a good business and the meat is supposedly not bad. I will just take their word on it.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Judging the reaction of the reporter…..I may have to pass. :laugh:
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I'm told that coon is an acquired taste. Many people don't like lobster, clams, shrimp or squid the first time it's put in front of them.

Short story:

My parents had some friend visit one time when I was a kid from Ohio or Missouri. My mother sent me down to the boat to get a basket of lobsters. When they arrived and settled in mother steamed a dozen or so bugs for lunch while my father and I took them down to the shore to see salt water.

When we got home the lobster was all spread out on the picnic table on newspapers with all the tools associated with eating lobsters. Had to have been at least a gallon of drawn butter too.

Those folks took one look at those lobsters and almost ran to the house! Even after we picked a bunch of the meat out they wouldn't even think of trying it. Mother was as mad as I had ever seen her. And, for weeks, she cussed about the 'incident' under her breath. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing from those folks again.
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Ahhhhh....my hometown!!!
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Marlin Darlin
    Options
    I'll be off line for awhile...just barffed on the keyboard.LOL Janet
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    When I was a child, my Grandfather would hunt coon. He took them to the local rib shack to be smoked. As I remember, it was pretty tasty. Tastes somewhat like mutton.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Not if you held a gun to my head!
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    I have had coon soup and it was good...
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    If I remember I do have that at home with pictures, I'll post later
  • IndependentGrocer
    Options
    In our area we eat more 'possum than coon. Catch 'em live, pen 'em up for a week on a diet of cornbread. Roasted in the oven wif sweet taters around it, tastes just like pork roast. ;)