Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb lollipop ?

Meat
Meat Posts: 233
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing lamb lollipops tonight. Plan on searing the rack then finishing for 15-20 minutes at 350. Should I finish direct or indirect? Thanks, FG.

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Finishing on a raised rack works fine at that temp (I usually get tired of waiting and throw them back on when the gauge hits 400. Of course you'd sear on a low rack.

My spouse prefers fairly rare red meat and I find that pulling when the deep interior of the rack reaches about 110 (using my Thermopen and presuming its accurate) gives me a nice red interior - what I'd call a medium rare - after about 10 minutes resting.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I do mine 375F direct high in dome and wrap the bone ends in foil as they will burn if not careful. pull 135-140 or so. We like them a little med rare. did two racks the other night about 45 minutes.
  • Check out Charleston Daves post earlier - they looked great.

Not sure if this link post will work.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=618108&catid=1
  • Your question was about direct vs. indirect. You can use either method. Your choice should depend on the results you want.

If you want an oven-like effect, with controlled, even heating, use indirect, as if you were baking bread or doing a low-and-slow cook.

If you want a more grill-like effect, with more obvious sear and flame marks, choose direct and get the meat close to the coal.

Either approach can add smoke flavor, but if you're not exposing the meat to the smoke for long you'll have to use more wood or use wood chips instead of lump smokewood.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    The foil is absolutely necessary during the sear - its possible to burn the bone right off the rack without the protection.