Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

port butt, fire went out ????

Options
Otobiz
Otobiz Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to bed last night my two little butts where at 120 degrees, fire was a t 300 so I thaught I would play with the vents settings, trying to over come my burnt gasket, well my mistake I chocked the fire, they dont look like they cooked past the first 4 hours,The egg was cold this morning and internal temp of butts was 70, Fire went out still gots lots Of lump.

Heres the big question, Do I throw it out or take it to work and put in the oven and cook

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I'd toss em. No case of the screaming mimi's is worth some cheap pork! Sorry.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    toss 'em...you cant make a drastic vent change without staying with it long enough to make sure the fire is good...and need to check it every 3hrs or so even when you think the fire is good..sorry
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    I would not take a chance like Todd says, it's cheap enough to just replace it.

Todd when you get a chance call me. need to talk to you about sauce and a Fest. Now is even a good time. Thanks
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Food poisoning is not worth it, believe me. I once spent four days where I couldn't even keep a glass of water down. I defrosted some left over London Broil yesterday and forgot it on the counter until it was time to eat. Even though it had been cooked once and probably had not been room temp very long I opted for something else. I have to agree with the others, heart breaking as it is, better safe then very sorry. :(

Gator
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    That reminds me.

I picked up a couple of steaks that had been reduced, as they needed to be eaten in a couple of days. When I unloaded the car, the flat little bag was overlooked. Hours later I realized my mistake. It hurt to throw out those steaks, but I didn't want anyone getting sick.