Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the club!

The Barbequetioner
The Barbequetioner Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to say hello, My wife bought me a BGE for my birthday yesterday. Going to pick it up after work. Longest day of my life so far! Gonna do my first cook this weekend. Looking at some spares,ABTs, maybe even a throw a butt on. I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Take it easy, and if it is easy. Take it again.

Comments

• porkbutt
    porkbutt Posts: 46
    Welcome to the fray! Sounds like yer jumin right in.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Let's see -- you are getting the Egg today and waiting until the weekend to cook, but today is the longest day?????

Grab some burgers or some chicken or some hotdogs or anything else you can think of and do a simple cook tonight.

If all else fails, just light the fire and play with temp controls.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    If you can squeeze in some cooks before the longer slower cooks, it would get you some good experience. Get through the learning curve and then let her buck. My wife got me mine for this last Christmas. Haven't looked back since. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Congrats and stick around, many of the guys and gals on here really have this thing figured out.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    If I take a night off the Egg, I almost feel sick. :silly:
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Hello and welcome .I'm sure you will really enjoy your Egg purchase.I hope you like your neighbors,because once you start cooking the will be over often. Good luck and good Eats.
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    FWIW ...
    I'd grab some chicken thighs for a first cook. It's hard to mess those up (but I could manage).
    I really messed up my first low and slow. Watching that temp dial all night was like being in the delivery room. Had so many by now that it's just another brisket in the crib! :laugh:
    And in case no one else tells you, keep the dome below 400 for the first few cooks. In other words, don't TREX tonight! ;)
    And welcome to a most strange but helpful group.

Later,
    Peter
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Strange !!! I resemble that remark ..
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    CULT.

We're nothing more and nothing less than a cult!

You'll find all of the answers to you're questions here and you'll also find some of the oddest people the gods ever smiled upon.

Welcome and Jupiter Jim is charge of the secret handshake now. :evil:

The honor was conferred on him at the FL Eggfest last Saturday at about 10am.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Welcome! Why wait til the weekend though?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    waiting to get my egg was the longest day of my life too, so I did what any impatient person would do.....I left work early......enjoy the egg, I've just started using mine and I'm getting more comfortable with it with each cook......trust the egg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    This weekend... tonight!!!!

Congratulations, happy birthday and welcome to the forum.

Make sure you read the manual and watch the video.

This may be of help.http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=609888&catid=1

GG
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Welcome, we're gald you're here.
  • Tenn Smoker
    Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
    What a great b-day gift. You must have alot of patience to wait till the weekend. I egged some chicken breasts on mine the first night then watched the DVD, not suggestion anyone do that.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Welcome to the 'cult'....lol. It's not a "club"...lol.. we take this far more seriously! :woohoo: Where are you from??
    Smartest thing you have done....well, since marrying a woman smart enough to buy you a BGE... is to start participating in this forum.
    There is more talent in this forum than you could possibly imagine!! You will get eggcellent advice, pointers, tips and such! Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question. ;)
    May you enjoy your Egg as much as we have! Look forward to hearing more from you.
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Ditto what everyone has already said. You can get answers on here about 24/7. Biggest thing I can say is ask questions and read back posts. the search works really good on here. just type in a few words of what you are looking for and you will gets tons of relevant back posts for it. also if you are looking at a table or something to build in your egg.... make it as big as you can. it is almost a sure bet you will want at least 1 more egg top go with it LOL ask me how I know :whistle:
  • Ah, the birthday egg. I know it well. Sounds like you married a winner too!!

Congrats and welcome!!

BTW, I love your handle. :lol:
  • Welcome to this place you'll love it! Normally I just lurk and read posts...but with your name I was wondering if we are some how related? Or maybe do similar work??? :evil:

Again, WELCOME!

Eggecutioner
  • Definitely welcome to the cult. You are going to love it. Happy Birthday and Happy Egging!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Definitely welcome to the cult. You are going to love it. Happy Birthday and Happy Egging!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • What a great wife! I have one of those too! I never did any cooking until I got the egg little over a year ago. It was four months after she bought me the medium egg that I bought a Large. She said it has been a great gift and now I cook all the time.

Have fun!