Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dry(er) ribs

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ribs.jpg
<p />Ok, perhaps I'm becoming too much of a perfectionist since getting my egg, but...
I made some beef ribs this friday, the fourth time I've made them. Usually, I've been doing them indirect at around 250 (with occasional spikes that were higher, but I was able to get the temp down). This time, I had absolutely no problem getting the egg to stick at 225. I was so confident in fact, that in the middle of the rib cook, I went to a movie. Unfortunately the previews were longer than I expected and I got home a little later that I'd hoped. When I came home, the egg was still perfect at 225, and my ribs were at 203. My target temp was 200, but since I'd pulled ribs off before at 208 and they were still quite juicy, I was surprised that these were a little dry. Still good, but drier than the previous times. Because these were cooked at a lower temp, they took a total of 5 and a half hours as opposed to 4 and a half to 5 hours for the other ribs I've done in the past. Like I said, these were still good, but I thought that since I cooked at 225 they'd be juicier than when cooked at 250, whereas I found the opposite. Perhaps it was the ribs I started with. Or maybe the meat dried out because it was on the cooker longer. Any thoughts?
--Aron

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Aron,
    That is very interesting for me....Beef ribs done @ 225 for 5 hrs and come out dry. And I see that you are from the NE area which is near to my area.
    In my area of "lovely" central NJ one pretty much can not easily get a full rack of beef ribs...only pork spares are available in full racks at any supermarket. The only beef ribs available around here are single ribs in packs of four or five.
    The only time I have ever done whole beef racks were in VA where my brothers live, in which whole beef racks are available at there local Food Lion. I 1st did them @ 250 for 4 hrs and came out too tough, yet tasty! After that I consistantly did them @ same temp for about 6 hrs and came out alot more tender.
    I guess you did them in single ribs rather then whole rack and that had an effect? I have always wondered if cut ribs vs whole rack ribs there is a difference. I will await for responses as you will. Glad you at least enjoyed them![p]ST
    [/b]