Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Removal and Zip Ties

Chris in Gwinnett
Chris in Gwinnett Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All-

I am in a bit of a pickle and would appreciate any help offered. I have to take off the dome of my L BGE to replace the gasket. The Egg has to be ready to go by tomorrow night (daughter's 7th birthday party) so I need to get this done this afternoon. Anyway, my question is around the use of zip ties (mine didn't come with the white things). I am really struggling to understand what you tie together. I don't want myself or anyone else to get hurt so I want to do this right, but I simply don't understand. Any pics or a step by step tutorial would be appreciated more than you will ever know. I have searched the forum archives and am not finding what I need. I will admit that I am a little slow so the simpler the better. Thanks, as always in advance, for bailing me out again. Have a great weekend.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Chris,I hope this helps ;) The zip ties hold the bands together,so they can't spring open.

001-41.jpg
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Chris, mine came with the white things but I tossed them before realizing I was supposed to keep them. Anyway, I did my gasket last year simply by losening the bolt to the top band, lifting it over the egg (as if the lid was lifting), that takes all the tension off & removes any danger, then, losen the bottom bolt, slip it off as well thereby removing the entire assembly in one piece. Then, you can remove the dome easily & work on the gasket.

To be on the really safe side, have a second person hold the top band in place while you are losening the bolt, so there is no chance it can snap up...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I have not removed my dome but have adjusted the gap between the dome and the base.
    The zip ties are to hold the top and bottom bands from allowing the egg to open. The bands are under spring pressure and if you dont zip tie the spring assist hing closed and you loosen the top band bolt it could come up and hit you.
    You might check out the Naked whiz site,
    Hope I have helped.
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Sparky- So is the band in the picture loose? Then just lift the dome straight up and leave the bands tied together? Zippylip- so you didn't tie the bands together at all?

Why can't I seem to get this? I am not trying to be an idiot. Thanks again for the help and clarification.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Chris, no, I did no tying, as long as you are aware that the springs can cause the band to move once the bolt is lose, you won't be surprised by it (which is why I think some people have had problems...). If you notice there is a little indentation on the dome for a corresponding little metal piece on the band to slip into, just keep a little pressure on that & the band won't go anywhere until you want it to. Once the bolt is lose enough for the band to slip over the dome, guide it up till it is all the way open & you are good to go, then losen the bolt on the bottom band & remove the whole thing...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    You don't need to tie the bands together. Loosen the band on the top and remove the dome. Let the band open up, as in the lid open position, so you can have better access to the bottom gasket. Scrape the bottom gasket off with a putty knife or wood chisel. Clean as well as you can with alcohol (denatured, or rubbing) and remove as much as the old adhesive as you can by scraping and rubbing with the chisel and paper towels. Place the lid on the base in the inverted position and repeat the above instructions for removing the base gasket. Cut the new (replacement) gasket in two equal halves and apply one half to the lid, remove the lid and set aside. Apply the other half of the gasket to the base. Put the top band in the closed position at this point being very careful to apply the pressure on the hinge only and NOT on the band itself else it may bend. Put the lid in place, adjust the bands as you did in the original assembly, and tighten the band bolts and you're good to go......
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    newer bands dont have the indentation anymore. anyways, ive done it with the dome/band open. snugged it just alittle, closed the dome and made final adjustments and tightened it down.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    I just removed the springs with the lid up and someone lending a hand so the lid doesn't fall shut, the same in putting the lid back on, need some help to hold it open, pretty simple stuff, I generally would allow 24 hours before cooking on the Egg.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    chris;

try looking at this photo it may help some when you put it together with sparky's

crackedeggfirday008.jpg

hope this helps i will check back when i gat home as i am in charleston at the auction.. it is really easy ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• So both bands stay on the egg and only the dome comes off! Now I think I finally understand this. Thanks all...I knew I could count on you all. As usual, I am over thinking something. Can't be as difficult as it is in my mind. I will get this done and have the gasket set for our cook tomorrow night. 4 little girls spending the night!! Pray for me.....please?

Thanks guys...you are the best.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    ive done what tach18k has mentioned as well, really makes things easier. wear safety glasses and with someone holding the dome open those springs can easily be pried and slid off with a screwdriver. then it becomes really easy to put the dome on/off.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Just did this 30 mins ago and I used zip ties and attempted to simply undo the bolts that attach the hinge to the dome but couldn't get the hinge off the bolts so I removed the top bolt and slid the ring over the dome and removed.  I'm 5'9" and was able to get my LBGE out of the table without help.  I have to stain and poly my table this week....