Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza sauce recipes

Options
Science Guy
Science Guy Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made pizza on the Egg last night and they cooked to perfection. However, the "off-the-shelf" pizza sauce that I used took the pizza from great down to simply good. Can anyone direct me to a couple of good sauce recipes? I checked the internet and found a lot but would like to get recommendations from users of their favorites. I am looking for a red sauce and also am interested in trying a white sauce. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Science Guy,
    This is a real good pizza sauce.
    Larry

[ul][li]Spin's Pizza Sauce[/ul]
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Science Guy,
    It's not a very exact recipe, but here's what I do:
    First start out with either 2-3 pounds of fresh plum tomatoes or a $0.99 can (28 or 32 oz) of whole plum tomatoes in tomato juice. Fresh tastes better of course, but I use cans more often, since I always have them around. If using fresh tomatoes, first skin them by cutting a small cross hatch at one end and placing them in boiling water for a few seconds. The skin will peel off easily. If using canned, the skins will be off already.
    Mash them up with a potato masher or the like, or pulp them if you have a tomato pulper and start simmering the tomatoes on the stove. Then I just add ingredients I like--usually a lot of chopped Basil--it must be fresh basil since the dried stuff doesn't taste anything like it, and a lot of garlic. To thicken the sauce, I usually use corn flour or regular flour, since I don't have the patience to wait for the water to boil down. I also like to add a touch of hot sauce and balsamic vinegar to give it a sweet and hot kick. The key is simply to put in what you like and taste the sauce throughout the process adding whatever you think will taste good. The whole process doesn't take me any more than 20 minutes and it tastes better and is cheaper than buying pre-made sauce.
    I don't have a white sauce recipes, but if you know a good pesto recipe, you might want to try that. Pizza on the egg is better than all but one pizza I have ever tried, and that one is a Pollo (chicken) Pesto pizza from my favorite pizza shop. They use a pesto sauce instead of tomato sauce, small chunks of cherry tomatoes, chicken, fresh ricotta, fresh basil, and mozzerella. I've yet to imitate that, but I'm sure with time I'll be able to do it.
    Good luck with your sauce. Hope I helped a little bit.
    --Aron

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    i've been making pizza for many years now, using a regular oven on baking pans. i now make pizza on BGE. My recipe follows:[p]Sauce:
    1 large can crushed tomato (i like hunts).
    1 small onion finely chopped.
    1 teasp. salt
    1 tablsp olive oil
    5 grinds of black pepper from my grinder.
    1 tablsp basil.
    1 tablsp oregano.
    saute onions in the olive oil for a few minutes.
    add the tomatos, salt, pepper & herbs.
    on medium heat stir from time to time cooking for 20 min. [p]Pizza dough (food processor method)
    1 cup water(room temp)
    1 pack yeast
    1 tablsp olive oil
    1 teasp salt
    +/-3 cups Breadflour (always best when using yeast)
    pour water into processor, add yeast - give a quick pulse.
    add about 1 cup breadflour, salt & oil - give a few quick pulses.
    add 1 1/2 cup more breadflour & process to form a ball- adding more flour as needed. the dough should not be sticky, so adjust the flor used to get a fairly firm, smooth dough.
    remove from the processor bowl & place on a floured surface to knead it a few more times by hand.
    place the dough in a covered bowl to rise til double +/-1 1/2 hours.
    remove from the bowl, punch down & form ino two balls that can be rolled out into 2 12" pizzas.
    ( you may want to fold over the edges, to give an edge crust/rim to contain sauce & ingredients)
    my last BGE bake was @ 400°F 35-40min. [p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    do you know if the same dough recipe would work in a kitchen aid w/ a dough hook???

• Science Guy
    Science Guy Posts: 18
    Options
    Aron,
    Thanks for the info. The pesto idea is a good one. I had a garlic and clam pizza some time back that used a cream sauce which I may attempt to duplicate. I am not sure how a typical cream sauce would hold up at pizza oven temps however.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, defenitely use your kitchen aid, it will only take a few more minutes to get the same results.
    For a quicker dough, i always use the processor- the only drawback is the cleaning of the parts takes longer with the processor.
    note: the ammount of dough produced with the 1 cup water will be sufficient to cover a standard baking tray (if doing the pizza in a regular oven @ 450°F 6min on middle rack, 6min on top rack)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    thanks a lot, i appreciate the info. . .planning on buying me that pizza stone in the next couple of weeks (i already have a platesetter), and then i try pizzas on the egg!!![p]liked your recipes, printed them out last night, so the pressure is on YOU (hee hee) for my success. .. :-)

• Unknown
    Options
    Science Guy,[p]I grew up in Chicago and moved about 15 years ago. In order for me to eat good pizza, I had to learn to make it. The key ingredient is good Italian sausage. Don't buy the pre-packaged grocery store kind....find a reputable butcher that makes it from scratch. I get mine from McGonigles in Kansas City...they have a website and I believe the ship nationwide. My dad was a butcher and (heaven forbid) McGonigles is better than anything he every made. Here's my recipe:[p]1-1/2 lb Italian sausage
    6 cloves garlic, pressed
    1 small-medium onion, diced (use sweet if you can find them)
    1 tblsp olive oil
    1 large can tomatoes
    1 small can paste
    1/4 cup red wine (cheap is fine)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp basil, or a couple of leaves of fresh
    1/4 tsp marjoram
    (or substitute the above 3 items with a comparable amount of Italian Seasoning)[p]Remove the sausage from the casings if necessary. Brown the sausage in the olive oil. When nearly brown, drain about 3/4 of the grease. Add the onion and garlic and cook until onions are limp. Transfer into a 2-3 quart sauce pot.[p]Drain most of the juice out of the tomatoes (leave about 1/2 cup of juice). Crush the tomatoes with your hands into the sauce pot. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour, preferably 2 hours. If the sauce is too thin, leave the lid off for a while to let the sauce thicken up.[p]This will make enough for a couple of pizzas. You can freeze the remainder (I reuse sherbert containers), preferably in single pizza serving sizes. That way when you want a 'za, you can simply defrost in your microwave.[p]Enjoy!