Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fall off bone beef ribs?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions to make beef ribs fall off the bone like pork ribs?
I've tried a 5 hour indirect cook, they turned out ok but I know I can do better. Would a 3-1-1 method work, or perhaps a variation?
Thanks!
Bob

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    BobM,
    Did you check the temp at the end of 5 hours? We do a rack of short ribs until the temp is 200. They are almost fall-off-the-bone. Another trick from a NYC Hell's Kitchen restaurant is to braise a rack of short ribs like a pot roast without the tomato until very done; pull out the bones and then grill the boneless rack over a hot grill for 2-3 minutes a side with whatever sauce you like. These are really outstanding: fork tender and delicious. Enjoy

• Unknown
    Options
    Marvin,
    Didn't check the temp but I'm guessing it was probably below 200. I'll get out my Polder next time!
    Thanks
    Bob

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    BobM,[p]You will need to cook a little longer. They should cook exactly the same as pork spares. It takes me 6-7 hours at 225º and using foil. I use my own foiling times...3hours out, 3 hours in, then 1 hour out....I guess that would be 3-3-1 Play around with it until you reach your personal nirvana..[p]I quit measuring temps in ribs..not enough meat to get accurate reading. Just look at the bones and sample. OR use a toothpick and poke between the bones.[p]