Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauce for pulled pork

Options
Drivr
Drivr Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All right! I got my order of Dizzy Dust yesterday (Thanks Chris). I have 2 7 pound butts coated in coarse gring and on the egg right now for a house warming party tomorrow afternoon. Can anyone help me with a decent sauce for these butts? I have some store bought but I think somethhing home made would go over nice.
Thanks
Jason

Comments

• MrCoffee
    MrCoffee Posts: 33
    Options
    Drivr, I like to take maybe one part KC Masterpiece or another store bought sauce and thin it with 4 or 5 parts apple juice. It makes a really thin, light suace for the pork.[p]TerryF

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Drivr,
    I would recommend you try an Eastern Carolina style sauce. Search google on carolina sauce and you'll find more recipes than you can shake a stick at. Basically, an Eastern Carolina sauce is made from vinegar, sugar, salt, and crushed red pepper. Some variants add garlic, Coleman's dry mustard, French's prepared mustard, molassas, cooked onions, and any number of herbs. My personal favorite is the base recipe (vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper) with some garlic and a hefty helping of dried thyme for extra tang. I usually cook it down, strain it, and spray it on the pulled pork with a spray bottle.[p]Your google search will also bring you some Western Carolina variants that include a lot of ketchup. It's a lot like the eastern variety, but is thicker and "redder". It makes something more of a dipping sauce.[p]You can probably add some ol' number 7 to either one to perk it up a bit... ;-)[p]BBS-

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Drivr,
    Mike O`s chipotle sauce is a favorite at our house, you can find it in the "submitted recipe" section...it is a LOT of work, but worth every minute of it in the long run..that stuff is just awesome....I also some times put Sonny`s BBQ sauce on mine, its kinda sweet if you like that type..[p]Wess