Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone in the New Orleans area...

alimog
alimog Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know a good source of wood chips and chunks in the New Orleans area? At the moment I'm looking for pecan and oak, but also just a good general source that will have more than the standard hickory and mesquite. Thanks.

Comments

• Wally World here in Madison, MS really surprised me last week when they had Apple, Maple, Cherry, Hickory and Mesquite "Western" brand chips! Not only that, they were less than 1/2 the price my local BGE retailer was asking for the same brand.

Academy Sports usually carries some chunks, but not a big selection.

Good luck.
  • There's probably a zillion pounds of it in the landfills after Katrina but none in the stores. Good opportunity for an entrepreneur.

Spring "Recycling A Rum'n Coke Right Now" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Where are you in New Orleans? I work in the CBD and live on the Northshore.

Couple of places I buy mine from are:

In Metairie, Bassil's Ace Hardware. They are a BGE dealer and has a good selection of woods in stock.

http://www.bassilsace.com/

Most of the Academy's have a good selection too.

http://academy.com/

Take a road trip some day to Gulfport (about 45 min). This BGE dealer has a deli attached to the store and makes everything on the Egg. Pretty good and a great section of woods. I like this place for woods b/c he has them in barrels and sells it by the pound. You can try different kinds without buying a whole bag.

http://www.grategrillsonline.com

I hope this helps,

Steve
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Not to highjack the thread or anything but I just learned that ACE Hardware is the largest Egg retailer in the world. The sell more than anyone.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Obviously not all Ace Hardware stores sell them. I've never seen a Big Green Egg or even lump charcoal in any of the Ace Hardware stores I've visited.

Wonder where the big Egg sellers are?

Spring "Ace Is NOT Always The Place For Eggs" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Ace in Slidell (on Ponachtrain DR has all the different woods. )That is where I got My Large BGE
  • I have picked up wood chunks/chips at Academy. Cabellas and Bass Pro Shops has them as well. My latest stock of pecan came from Rouses grocery store. Bought a 10# bag of pecan firewood and cut it into chucks with my chop saw. :woohoo:

Basils is a good source for Q stuff as well as Goodwood Hardware in Baton Rouge. Goodwood also has high end kitchen stoves/cook tops, fridges, etc. If you are in the hood, Goodwood Hardware is a must stop - specially if you are a Tiger fan. :laugh:
  • Bassil's ACE Hardware - 4419 Transcontinental Blvd in Metairie near the corner of West Esplanade - a BGE dealer - good stock of lump - BBQ sauce and wood chips/chunks see Fred - a great guy!