Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SKIN UP OR DOWN

AL
AL Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO COOK A SPATCHCOCK CHICKEN SKIN UP OR DOWN INDIRECT. COULD THIS BE WHAT CAME FIRST THE CHICKEN OR THE EGG?

THANKS AL

Comments

• I do mine skin up, direct
  • Skin up. I did it direct on the mini but indirect would probably be better.

CIMG3075.jpg

CIMG3076.jpg

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    I usaully start mine skin side down direct to get a good crust on it. Then finish it off skin up.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I start my chicken off with the skin up. I cook it direct raised grid at 400 degrees. After 30 minutes or so I flip the chicken over for about 10-15 minutes with the skin down. This helps crisp it up. I then turn it back over and baste with whatever sauce I am using. I let it cook for a few more minutes until the breast are 165 internal...never had a bad one yet.... ;) It usually takes about an hour for the chicken to be done....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i always cook chicken raised grill direct. i start up for about 5 to 10 min, then flip it when the skin looks a little wet, then flip it back up top to finish it. i like to work on crispy skin in the beginning of the cook instead of towards the end. so its skin up/down/up. i also like to control temps with the bottom only and leave the top vent open with chicken, seems to help with crispy skin
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Skin up on a raised grid. I cook mine around 350 to 400 until breast hits 155 to 160. If you dont have a raised grid use something else to get your grid level with or higher than the gasket. In this pic you can see I used Craftsman sockets. Theres lots of ways to cook a chicken on an egg and they're all great. My best is with this raised grid method and Dizzy Pigs Raging River.They are so juicy when they are done. I cut mine up on a cutting board and I had juice running off the board onto the counter. Happy Egging!
    IMG_5134.jpg
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    The chicken came first. The egg wasn't introduced until 1974.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    by open you are not haveing any top on the egg?
    would that make the open about the size of a credit card?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Have tried it both ways and definitely prefer skin up on raised grill. B)
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    I DO IT SKIN UP INDIRECT AT 400 WITH OIL, DP AND A LIGHT DUSTING OF PAKO BREAD CRUMBS. IT TAKES ME 1 HR TO 1:20 DEPENDING ON TH SIZE OF THE BIRD. ITS COMES OUT CRISPY AND JUICEY.
    THANKS FOR ALL YOU GUYS ANSWERS.
    AL
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I'm with you, skin down for 5 or so minutes to get it rendering and slightly charred, then flip skin side up to finish the cook. Might go back to skin side down depending on how it looks near the end.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.