Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why is the Big Green Egg so good ???

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a new BBQ and have considered several different makes and models. I realy like the BGE design and what is said about it however it is about double the price of the nearest briquette smoker that I can find.
I would like to hear from those of you that have tried other smokers and why you chose the BGE (or didn't choose the BGE) as your prefered smoker.
I also need some good excuses to give to my wife as to justify the purchase of a BGE.

Comments

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Bruce,
    The good excuse should be because she might never have to cook again. Once you taste food from the BGE you will want to constantly be using it. I have not tried other smokers but have 3 Eggs (large, small and mini) if that tells you how much I like it......

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Bruce,
    I don't know where to begin...
    Before the Egg, I had an offset metal cooker - did some pretty fair ribs, briskets and shoulder. My chicken was fair to dreadful. For grilling I cranked up the gasser, for baking the oven, for stirfry the range.
    Since the Egg, my "everyday" barbecue is as good as or better than my best from the offset - plus I burn less fuel and get more sleep. Chicken is great on the Egg! (I've discovered I really do like it.) Grilling: the gasser maxed out at 400°, on the Egg I start thinking about grilling when I hit 600°. And hearthbaked bread! Hmmmm!! I still want a wok big enough to fit in the Egg, but even with my small one stir fry is a ball.
    The gasser now makes a reasonable tool holder for the Egg. The offset's been sold long time ago. And I cook on the Egg 4 out of 7 days; eat "Egg-leftovers" the other 3.
    Finally, you don't need an excuse - just a hot wing or stir-fried squiddy. Maybe a nice little filet beautifully seared on the outside and cool pink on the inside.
    Ken

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Bruce,
    Actually, my wife provided an excuse. I don't know where you live, but here in Missouri it gets cold in the winter. Cold enough that it's just not worth the effort to cook outside. You can't generate ehough heat. So I'd spend 4-5 months whining about not being able to barbeque. With an Egg, that's not a problem. The weather doesn't faze it at all. It cooks just fine in weather you wouldn't -- grin! So her take was "If it'll keep you from whining and sulking all winter it's worth the money..."[p]If you REALLY want to know why I bought not one, but two BGE's, email me.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    This cooker allows you to figure out how to do something once and then to duplicate that process more quickly and more reliably than any cooker I have ever used. It can hold a temp of 200 or of 800 for as long as you need. I am a cheap bastard, and I have never regretting any of the money I spent on the egg. --
  • Bruce,
    plain and simple, this is the best grill/smoker/oven/cooker ever!!! if i did it on the grill, if i did it in a pot, if i did it in the oven. .. i now do it in the egg. . .[p]my family has raved about everything i've cooked so far, from roasts, to ribs, to chicken, to chile, to shrimp, to fish, to simple burgers and baked beans. ..[p]it was good on gas, it was better on a weber. . i pitched the gas and use the weber kettle to store lump for the egg. .

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Bruce,
    Just have her taste something from the BGE and you will not need any other excuse to buy one. Publish your town and I'm sure someone will pipe up and offer to cook for you.
    Julie

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Bruce,[p]A year or so ago a friend sent me a link about the egg. I thought he was crazy. The more I lurked on this forum the more sense this type of grill made to me. My first slow cook (pork butts) was a raging success. Today, my megabucks stainless steel monster grill has become a storage cabinet for the egg accessories. Quite simply, it'll cook low and slow like no other smoker and it'll get as hot as any commercial grill for searing a steak. [p]Try it, you'll like it![p]Mike

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Bruce,
    When I first mentioned the cost to my wife, she said look at it as an outdoor appliance. It could be the last grill you have to buy. Unless of course, you're like most of us and end up buying a second Egg.
    Nobody has mentioned Thanksgiving. Before, with my water-pan smoker, I'd have to start around 9pm, stay up half the night and hope to have a decent bird for lunch. Now, I get up at a normal time, start the egg and in less than 4 hours have a great turkey for lunch. Brisket or pork butt...start at night, get the temp stable, put the meat on and go to bed. The Egg will cook all night for you.
    Don't skimp on a small or medium...just go for the large. You won't regret it.

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Bruce, Absolutely the best thing I ever spent money on. It bakes brick oven style, smokes, grills,holds temperature like a rock. You will not believe the difference in the way food tastes. Post your city someone will cook for you!!

• Bruce, for X-mas, my wife purchased me a NICE stainless steel gas GrillMaster. I'm talking a top-of-the-line-all-of-the-bells-n-whistles unit that virtually anyone would be pleased to have on their patio or pool deck. Around $2,500 with all of the trimmings. As I went back to the store to pick up some incidentals, I stumbled onto this thing called the Big Green Egg. I had never seen or heard of it before. A completely foreign concept to me. I had no idea what ceramic cookers were all about. My initially-casual interest increased with each return visit, and I eventually saw the mania on this web-site.[p]To make a long story short, I ended up buying a large BGE. I explained to my wife -- and I meant it at the time -- that I would use the Egg only for "smoking", and that I would use her "far-superior gas unit" for 90% of our outdoor cooking. I bought the BGE almost as a lark. I'm an extremely busy, non-mechanical guy, and I had no intentions of tinkering with some time-consuming gadgetry like an "Egg".[p]Since that time, we've used the fancy GrillMaster a total of three (3) times, and always for fast-n-easy burgers and chicken breasts. For anything/everything else, I always opt for the BGE. If my wife has any hurt feelings, they are well-hidden by her love for BGE-cooked-food.[p]We are both astonished that we like this thing. Typically, we are suckers for "faster, easier and more convenient." The BGE, however, is WAY MORE FUN, and produces far-superior food products. We're hooked. I am confident uou will not be disappointed if you buy one of these units, and I would encourage you to do so.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    hounddog,[p]I echo your thoughts re:cheap/no regrets. What for me makes this remarkable is that I almost always have some regrets about any purchase at this price range.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Bruce,
    Those are some great responses, aren't they? I like the theory of posting your location, and see if someone is close enough to really demo the unit...that would certainly settle the question at hand.[p]I'd start with some chicken wings, bake some potatoes, sear a steak, and maybe grill some pineapple slices for dessert.[p]All done with one load of lump, with enough lump leftover to cook another evening or two.[p]Weather was my biggest problem. I couldn't get the old gasser hot enough to perform about 4-6 months out of the year. Mr. Egg solved that problem. There are very few days I will not cook outside, now....it has to be absolutely miserable...and we DO get a few of those. (Minnesota) Rain, snow, sleet (all the same evening) no problem. I've had minor problems with temp stability at below zero temps, and wind speed above 20 MPH....the high wind is the biggest problem with below zero temps. Who wants to BBQ at that temp??? :> (Really it's more of a personal comfort level...do I REALLY want to go out there in the dark and brave the weather?)[p]Imagine cooking a couple of pork shoulders for 18+ hours, and when you pull them (after they cool and rest a bit) the juice still runs out.... Same with a turkey breast done lo and slo....I'm thinking my mother-in-laws turkey here...gaggy dry...need I say more?[p]No maintenance. Simple.[p]I use a propane torch to light mine. It heats up to temp faster than the old gasser. About 2 minutes with the torch, close the dome, open the vents, and you can have a blast furnace going in no time.[p]I order lump charcoal over the internet...it's delivered to my door. I also pick up lump at Wal mart.[p]
    If quality grilling, cooking, or smoking is an issue...then spend the money, you will not be disappointed. If it isn't that big of a deal, and BBQ'ing is a hassle...go buy the cheapest kettle or gasser you can find...they'll both need replacing in a few years and you can fight with the instructions included with the new grill to get those flimsy legs attached to base "A" using bracket "C."[p]What should we do for lunch? [p]Mike in MN[p]

• convert
    convert Posts: 13
    Bruce,
    Well my name (convert) says it all for me. I've had about 5 smoker grills,water pan type over the last 20 or so years. The Egg is far superior to any of the smoker grills. With the egg you can control the temp. either for long slow cooking or hot 800+ deg searing. not to mention this grill will proabaly be the last grill I own. Providing I don't do something like knock it over. You will not be disapointed... Convert

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Bruce,
    You do not need excuses for the wife. Tell her that after two meals cooked on the BGE, that if the results were not the best tasting "ever" (steaks, chops, or whatever you made) that you will spend an equal amount of money on her. [p]If she is not honest you may be in trouble with this one. What the h*ll go for it.
    Fireball