Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatcake, anyone?

Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Apologies in advance for the blurry pictures, but thought I should share this site which discusses some folks making a meat cake. The inner part of the cake is meat which is frosted with mashed potatoes.[p]Meat Cake[p]I bet the type of person who would enjoy a meat cake might be tempted to wear a hat made of meat...[p]1 more work day before Eggfest!!!!!!!!!!
Cornfed

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed,[p]...not sure what happened to that hatsofmeat.com site, but there fortunately at least appears to be an alternate site.[p]Cornfed
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Cornfed, now don't go and get Joel Ferman started.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Wise One,
    Joel??????? I was getting an image of Stumpbaby with a baron of beef adorning his giant cranium...[p]Heeeeeeeee[p](sign off time... nigh t'all...)[p]Ken

• Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    19798580.jpg
    <p />Wise One,
    Don't worry about me.... I think taking a sweet, delicate, fluffy pastry and replacing it with meat and mashed potato's is probably the worst idea of all time. I mean, no offense to whoever though that one up, but it looks horrid.
    -Joel

• Cornfed
    Joel Ferman,[p]I still remember this episode of Mr Wizard from like 20some years ago where he gave one of his helpers an "ice cream" cone. The ice cream had been replaced by mashed potatoes. It was really funny to see the hugely negative reaction as the girl spit out the mashed potatoes in disgust. The point of his experiment was something about how our senses can affect one another (ie - sight affecting taste) and how our expectations and assumptions can affect our senses. It turns out the girl had previously listed her favorite food as mashed potatoes, but when she had some while expecting ice cream taste, she spit it out in disgust.[p]What's my point in bringing this up???[p]Who the hell knows. One Day More until Eggfest!!!
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cornfed,
    Your point? Prolly that food psychology is a VERY interesting subject! It really is amazing how much our visual senses play into the whole game.[p]Here's my food psychology story. The twins play on a soccer team, and each game parents take turns bringing in sliced oranges for halftime snacks for the kids. My wife picked up these oranges that ended up being more pink inside than orange. Looked kinda like grapefruit. But it was the juiciest, sweetest oranges I have had. Well, the kids barely ate them. First they said "I don't like grapefruit". Then I said "try it, they aint grapefruit". Well, the damage was done. Even though they tasted them, they said it tasted like grapefruit, and we ended up throwing away some of the sweetest oranges of all time.[p]Now, if I could just get Stump to rewrite my story with some pizzaz.
    One more day....I am gettin' itchy.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    reminds me of the first time i gave my daughter squid. ..we were at our favorite italian restaurant in old town alexandria (villa d' este). . .i ordered up the fried calamari as an appetizer. ..my daughter, not having a clue what calamari was asked what i was eating. ..i said "here try it, its good". . .she did and as she was chewing, again asked (hey, little kids don't know how to finish chewing before they speak) "this is great, what is it?". . .when i told her it was squid, she tried to regurgitate it like a eagle feeding its young. . .it took about three more years to get her to try it again. ..now she loves it. .. [p]when we were in wyoming two summers ago, i ordered up some prairie oysters (bulls testicles to the un-initiated). . .this time i almost had to chase her down the street when she found out what they were. . .never did get her to take a taste, it was hard enough to keep her in her seat while the rest of us ate them (for some reason my wife took a particularly keene interest in chewing them hard). . .my son loved them. .. .[p]ah, kids, this is why some species eat their young!!!![p]

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    BlueSmoke,[p]Oooh...that reminds me of the hat momma used to have. I don't know what she done with it, maybe I autta dig it up for some fun..ahh...but..the story goes...[p]Poppa was out in the barn sayin goodbye to Elmer our cow, who was going to the slaughter house that afternoon, when in from the field walked momma..who obviously had spent too much time out in the hot summer sun. Her giant cranium, attracting far too much sunlight..was as red as an enflamed butt warble. For some reason, poppa, while standing directly behind that cow..got an idea to help momma out.[p]When he brought that cow down to the slaughterhouse, he told the man there he wanted the hide back, at least the back side. When poppa got that hide back, he brought the back end of it to gramma and told her to cut the butt out and to sew up the crack, essentially makin a giant leather hat, and gramma in her infinite wisdom, decide as a special surprise, to leave the tail on it as well. Momma was so happy when poppa presented her with that hat, and it was such a perfect fit, with the tail floppin off the back..but I gotta tell you momma never wore it round the house much, on accounta when she put it on, poppa would sneak up behind her and lift up the tail, pretending to look under it and say "you forget to wipe?" We sure got a good laugh at that..but momma would get all mad..and spin round real fast..and poppa would duck as the bushy tail end flew by..then he'd run away makin cow noises...ahhh..those were the days..[p]I can still picture momma out in the corn field, that big cow butt hat, barely visible above the corn husks..wiggling slightly as she picked the corn...ahh...but tragedy struck...my friend...and ultimately momma had to stop using that hat. Seems one day, when momma was out in the corn fields with that cow butt hat on..in a rather bizzare turn of events..Mr Bigs..our prized gurnsey bull..apparently..succumbing to what must have been a strong desire, possibly brought on by mommas head movements.. broke loose and headed straight for the corn fields..poor momma..I think at first she thought poppa was comin after her..makin those cow noises again. Momma sure can run...but still ..later that night... I heard poppa saying to grampa, while they was given a somewhat quiet momma sips of her moonshine.."was prolly a good thing mommas cranium was soo big....cause it had built up her neck muscles"...[p]ahh...the life of a Stump.... [p]StumpBaby
  • Wise One
    mad max beyond eggdome, sort of like the scene from "Funny Farm" where Chevy Chase is there about to set the record for the most "Sheep Nuggets" eaten in one sitting. Then, someone mentions what "Sheep Nuggets" are and he spews the entire restaurant. LOL

• Wise One
    Joel Ferman, It's good to see that your food tastes are well rounded. I liked your cartoon. I had to send it off to my Brother-in-law who hunts every weekend - except for the few where there is no season open so he goes fishing.

• Wise One
    Joel Ferman, It's good to see that your food tastes are well rounded. I liked your cartoon. I had to send it off to my Brother-in-law who hunts every weekend - except for the few where there is no season open so he goes fishing.

• Wise One,
    you got it. ...the only thing funnier was that the restaurant we ate them in was in cody wyoming (the irma, the most famous place in town). ..you're sitting their eating bull testicles and prime rib with about 50 mounted heads of every kind of animal staring at you from the walls!!!. . .the stuff nightmares are made of. . .[p]but needless to say, we ate them anyway. . ..anybody have a prairie oyster recipe for the egg???

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Well, I do bacon wrapped chicken gizzards. That's awufl close![p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    not if you're the bull!!!. ..

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Wise One,[p]Lamb Fries!!