Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking my Easter Ham

Options
Timahh
Timahh Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received some pretty good tips on smoking my Easter ham a couple of days ago...(Thanks Janet and Wes B, got my string to hold the big boy together with some hickory chips...Ready to ROCK !!).
As I said before, I'm gonna smoke a honey spiral ham (8lb.er). I'm using a recipe I received from here for Brant's Boston Butt. I'm just wondering if the ham that I have will require the same slow cook time (20 hrs @ around 200). That's cool if it does. I'm just trying to plan my preparation timetable. Also, any advice on indirect cooking would be good too. Never done it before. Only had humpty for a little less than a month. Please help ! Thanks.

Comments

• Timahh,
    You can't cook a spiral ham that kind of time or to that temp, I would cook at 250-275º to an internal of 140º, let it set for a bit when you take it off the cooker it will continue to go up in temp another 5-10º.
    Spiral ham will dry out if cooked to long or to too high an internal temp.
    Jim

• Jim Minion,[p]Right, it's fully cooked, so all you're doing is heating it up and adding smoke.[p]I just double-smoked two cooked hams, one 5 pounds, one 8 pounds, NOT spiral sliced, and took them to just under 140. Took 2 hours and 15 minutes, cooking at 245 degrees.[p]I used Dr. Chicken's ham glaze and he recommends to baste the hams with glaze when they reach 120 degrees. I would be concerned with the edges of the spiral ham drying out, so might start glazing after the first hour, every 15 minutes. If your pit temp is low enough, the glaze won't burn or blacken in that short a period of time.[p]Lee
  • QSis,
    I'm cooking a doubl smoked right now for the In-laws and wll do larger one tomorrow, thanks for the tips.
    Jim